By legrand - 14/09/2016 08:11 - France - Grenoble

Today, I was talking with my slightly skinflint girlfriend, who just moved in with me. “I think you should pay more bills than me, since you’re taller, you eat more, drink more and your clothes take up more space in the washing machine”. FML
I agree, your life sucks 891
You deserved it 122

Top comments

Superbaker123 14

The only good point is maybe eating more, but it sounds like she is just being a cheapskate. Because you're taller? Really?

Respond to your girlfriend accordingly: "Oh good! I'm so glad you're so short. You can clean the toilet daily, take out the trash, do the dishes, scrub the tile with a toothbrush, vacuum, sweep, mop, and clean up any spills on the floor. And, since I pay the bills, you can only eat when I tell you to, sleep when I tell you to, bathe when I tell you to, do your laundry when I tell you to, and pretty much be my personal slave. How does that sound, Cinderella? ... Or, we can be reasonable here and split all the bills and chores fairly and equally, because you know, nobody likes a leech on society."

Comments

I mean, there's a reason most apartments charge for utilities separately rather than just dividing it equally across everyone in the building; it's entirely possible that your clothes demand 3 batches for every one she does. That said, it probably balances out in length of shower time, amount of toilet paper used, any clothes she has that just absolutely must go in on a delicate cycle..: if she doesn't have room for all her things and you're taking hour long showers then maybe a conversation is needed, but mostly she's trying to use assumptions instead of valid measures to save a buck.

I know in Nevada, during the expensive summer months (in a large home, granted) a HUGE portion of the bill is air conditioning. The individual stuff like water usage, gas for cooking, etc hardly even registers in comparison. And for the ones in my home who "Don't need as much AC, it's because the ac works better in their room. Their room is cooler from the same money. No, you don't get to pay less because other people suffer more with a warmer room.

Some apartments have separate bills for different utilities, eg water as one bill and electric as another. AC is something that affects the whole household, but if the water bill is exorbitant and one person is doing 3 times as many loads of laundry and taking showers five times as longC there's not much question where the water is going. I'd be curious to hear the girlfriend's side of this to see why she thinks OP is using so many more resources

If there is sex involved in the relationship between you, don't argue the point. If it's a purely roommate situation stand up for fairness from the beginning because once things take a pattern it gets hard to then change things.

Why would sex being involved make it any better? That's just making her seem like a live-in prostitute.

I didn't mean to thumbs down you #26 ,my daughter took my phone sorry!

If that's how she feels that treat it like a roomie situation. Rent and utilities are split down the middle and you guys keep everything else separate.

This is classic bargaining. Are you prepared to walk away from the deal if you don't get your way? If not, you've got to cave in to her demands.

Or... OR he could negotiate and hopefully make his girlfriend see that she's being an unreasonable bitch. Bargaining isn't take it or leave it. There's haggling involved.

Guys eat more but when on date nights they also tend to be the one paying so it evens out.

cootiequeen4444 11

#22 how did you find out OP'S gender? There is no gender icon... at least not one that I see... I have noticed that sometimes the gender icon is wrong for some people. via comments in past FMLs. So maybe I'm experiencing the glitch... OR whatever the heck it is...

So...by "skinflint," you meant "mooching bitch."

People who live together split it down the middle, 50/50, until children come along and the mother or father has to stay home to raise the kids then it's still both their responsibility to make sure bills are paid by saving and earning how they can.

bandeek 30

I currently make more money than my boyfriend, so I pay slightly more in rent, the power bill and our car insurance. he pays slightly less in rent, the water bill and the cable bill. both are cheaper than the power and insurance. Then whenever we need something, whoever has money buys it. but he just got a second job, will be able to pay the bills himself, and my paycheck will go to savings and fun extra stuff. its not always 50/50. sometimes its just whoever can afford it.

The dating process is to weed out idiots and assholes . Didn't you know this girl before you moved in with her?

Did you realize she was this much of a skinflint before she moved in? Unless one of you 1) earns a whole lot more than the other or 2) agrees to do more of the housework, you split the bills 50/50