By no sir I have not - 08/03/2013 00:35 - United States

Today, I was taking a patient's blood pressure, and listening for his pulse with my stethoscope. I couldn't hear anything, so I adjusted the cuff and tried again. Still no pulse. He pointed out that my stethoscope was the wrong way around and sneered, "You been smokin' the reefer, boy?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 353
You deserved it 36 322

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If you had to have your patient teach you how to do your job, maybe this is not the right field for you.

Well, that kind of thing happens to everyone... Although I would be slightly worried if I was your patient.

Comments

Shake it off, Op, I'd be willing to bet even Doc Bastard had that happen to him once, just learn from it and do better next time! :)

LO388 7

I'd love to hear Doc's response if a patient asked him that. *Sits and waits patiently*

OP, you'd do well to listen to 11. Everybody makes mistakes.

Don't know about you guys, but I thought "zombie" when I first started reading this

"DocBastard, you made an incision into my right kidney, it's the left one with the problem!"

Ha! If I had a nickel for every wrong kidney I've taken...um... Hey, what's that over there?! *moves to Belgrade*

Doc...just admit that you do the wrong kidney so you get more money for doing both.

A lot of stethoscopes are flat on the wrong side so the mistake is understandable, not to mention the fact that there are ones out there that are double sided.

AbstraktThoughts 13

THANK YOU. A comment that isn't ignorant telling op about how he was stupid for confusing the stethoscope -______- it's easy to make that mistake. Besides it wasn't a life threatening one.

I panicked. I thought the end was going to be "it turns out that he had died"

TheVoicesTalk 3

Honestly, the OP sounds like a student to me. I'm taking a CNA class now (as a junior in high school) and couldn't figure out how to use a stethoscope three months into training. OP probably just got nervous and forgot, is all.

ghettokitty 8

Mistakes are natural lol, but ones like this are funny!

Wouldn't this be funny if this was Doc Bastard? Wrong country, though...

BellaBelle_fml 23

The Doc would never make this mistake.

Everybody makes mistakes, everybody has those days.

EnigmaThe321 12

The wrong way around?? One end has 2 parts...that's for your ears. I don't blame the patient here for being concerned!

Pretty sure he meant he put the flat side of the receiver (or whatever the term is) against the sphygmometer, rather than the patient's arm. At least I hope so.

The stethoscope has a round thing on the end that has two sides, one side is used for listening to the pulse at the wrist the other side isn't as good. That could be why.

RedPillSucks 31

Just be thankful it was something simple, and not something like mis-typing organs for a transplant, using hydraulic fluid instead of betadine to sterilize, or amputating the wrong limb.