By Hopper - 03/12/2017 23:00 - United States

Today, I was the only carhop at work for the last 2 hours. In that time, I waited on about 50 cars. I make server pay so I depend on tips, but none of them tipped me even a penny. I averaged under $3 an hour tonight. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 630
You deserved it 361

Same thing different taste

Top comments

So that's illegal. If you don't make minimum wage in tips, your employer is on the hook to cover minimum wage for the hours worked. It's ridiculously hard to actually get them to do it and keep your job, but maybe you work for good people. If you do, you could bring that up.

Coming from a former server, the employer is only responsible to ensure that the employee makes at least minimum wage per hour averaged over an entire pay period, not for just one shift.

Comments

I think it's bullshit that servers make so little with the assumption that their money comes from tips. Not everyone leaves tips, and in some places, where tips are shared, not everyone even deserves a tip. Tips should be extra, not the main source of income.

ahhh. sucks. Glad tipping doesn't exist most places. I had some lady try to give me $5 for helping take 4 × 26kg bags to her car, I had to refuse as its literally my job. I get $24/hr and that's minimum for my store.

what??? 17

they still have to pay you minimum wages I'm confused by this. not to mention I find it odd that not one person tipped you. maybe you're not being nice?

wrenavery90 12

I'm sorry but if you waited on 50 cars and no one tipped you, you've got to be doing something wrong.