By Winterbelle - 02/04/2015 01:06 - United States - Chaska

Today, I was reprimanded at work for having a low friendliness rating as a cashier. For two months, out of 1500 transactions, only 3 people filled out the survey. I almost got fired because 1 out of 3 people was mad about a coupon. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 798
You deserved it 2 037

Winterbelle tells us more.

Winterbelle 21

Hiya, OP here! I'm honestly surprised this was posted, but hopefully I can make a few things clear! I work at a Super Target, and honestly, the thing most irritating to me is that they didn't immediately notice how low my amount of transactions are. a normal week of cashiering at the front lanes is about 900-1300 transactions. Having 1500 for two months is abnormally low, especially for a full time cashier like me. It should've been taken into account that I'm not often at the lanes when they told me my score, but it is what it is. For those telling me to have friends fill out a survey, I like how you think but unfortunately the surveys are printed on receipts and it is sporadic. I never know which receipt will get one until it prints, and I always inform guests when they get one and ask that if they have time to go ahead and tell us how we're doing. Lastly, my manager was super understanding. She knew I was hardly ever doing cashiering on a normal lane, and she was telling me about my personal score because we had an important guy from Corporate coming in and we had to know, my score just caught the other team leads off guard and they were initially upset at how low it was, until they learned why. I believe my score is actually the lowest of all cashiers here. So in short, it was all a misunderstanding because of the amount of times I actually cashier on the checkout lanes. Thank you for all the awesome and hilarious comments! Hopefully my novella helped clear some things up! 8)

Top comments

SHAMUS_the_WITTY 18

I've worked retail. It's terrible. FYL for working retail.

aleemoe45 15

Comments

In my experience, the only people who submit surveys are those who are really happy or unhappy with you... So since 1 out of 3 complained, it really shouldn't be that big of a deal. But then again, retail is the devil. Sorry OP.

katydid91 31

People aren't always Minnesota Nice in Minnesota, especially when it comes to coupons. My sister worked as a cashier and she said that she dreaded double coupon day.

I know the pain. I worked at a restaurant for 4 months. Every month, I was told that customers loved me and the surveys showed it. One unimpressed customer later.. My hours were cut to 5 hours a month. Managers suck.

So that means that 2 of them were happy with you and well, two out of three ain't bad!

**** retail. In the eyes. With a red hot poker. Dipped in acid. Surrounded by hornets.

I'm willing to bet that coupon was for a different product/different store/was expired, right? So it actually had NOTHING to do with you as a cashier.

Oh wow, I'm sorry. But seriously, this is a perfect example of why statistical education is so necessary: 1. The threshold for statistical analysis of any type is 15. Below 15 any result is meaningless. If 1 in 3 questionnaires shows a bad result this isn't a 33% disapproval rating, it is meaningless. 2. Customer satisfaction surveys are biased for "low-contact" jobs, e.g. a cashier for 2 reasons: a. People only fill out questionnaires if they're thrilled with your performance or if they're angry. Apart from "forgetting" to scan some high-priced items there's almost no way to "thrill" someone with your performance as a cashier. Merely being pleasant and perfect at your job isn't enough. ... which leads us to angry. b. Most of the reasons why people get angry wouldn't be the cashier's fault. Things like confusing coupon policies, items not scanning correctly, items having the wrong price or code, etc. are not the cashier's fault, but the cashier is the one facing the angry customer... and the angry feedback form. There are half a dozen other reasons why it is statistically nonsense to fire someone for this. Unfortunately you work in the USA where employers don't generally need a valid reason to fire someone, just a reason that isn't horrendously racist/sexist.

66% of people liked you so that's good

There are lies There are damn lies And then there are statistics And worst of all there are the people that interpret those statistics