By dl_zook - 12/01/2010 17:52 - United States

Today, I was pumping gas and decided to go in for a drink. I discovered that when it's cold, sometimes the gas doesn't stop pumping automatically and starts spewing out onto the sidewalk. I had to pay for $53 of spilled gas. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 899
You deserved it 33 640

dl_zook tells us more.

jfyi, $17 of it went into my tank. i know it was stupid to leave it unattended, i made the post so other morons, like myself, could maybe not do something so stupid. I am fully aware you are not supposed to leave a pump unattended, something i have known for the past 10 years, regardless of the fact that the gas station i was at did not have a single sign stating the obvious(i went back and checked) i was in the gas station maybe 3 minutes at most and i was prepared and willing to pay any clean up fees needed, however the 'specialized' materials this particular attendant used was kitty litter, which she took off of the shelf and opened before going outside. the only reason i feel this would remotely qualify as a FML vs YDI is that i was stupid enough to think a drink was worth leaving my car alone at the time, so really more of a FML for being an idiot type of thing.

Top comments

Congratulations OP, now you understand why it is dangerous and illegal to do that.

If you go inside, would it also be easier for people to steal your gas?

Comments

gobbledegook 0

your lucky you don't have to clean it upXD or do you cause that would suck but then it would be fair

boatkicker 4

I know that in Massachusetts its considered a safety hazard and it's illegal to have you clean it up. I'm betting that it's probably the same in Missouri.

Ha this reminds me of how the other day my friend was pumping the gas for me and pulled the nozzle out while the lock was still on so it would continue to automaticlly pump. She got gas all over her lmao

That's stupid. You shouldn't have to lay for something that's their fault.

Um, actually it would be OP's fault for not heeding all of the signs that say "Do not leave pump unattended"

the op is a dumb ass gas pumper just like everyone else in America it seems. i work at a gas station and no one ever reads any of the signs on the gas pumps if they did my job would be a lot easier. i spend the majority of my day teaching people older than me how to pump gas. i dont even have a liscense or own a car for that matter.

Grayfoxx 5

That's because you work at a gas station. Go America **** the rest.

Yes, because everyone in America always walks away every time...

That's why there are multiple signs telling you "Caution: Do not leave pumps unattended. You are responsible for spills."

Where in the Nine Hells do all you YDI people live? Never in my life has the gas pump failed to automatically disengage when the tank is full. Thank God Houston knows how to build a gas station correctly or I'd probably be in that same boat. OP - That sucks.

From the way he described it, it's very likely that there was too much pressure from the sudden gas flow (because it's too cold, etc) that it pushed out of the tank, therefore spraying everywhere instead of IN the tank. Which would mean that the automatic stop would not matter. Most gas stations have that, but there's also the obvious "DO NOT LEAVE PUMP UNATTENDED" signs everywhere for the reason that accidents like these CAN AND HAVE happen when people don't pay attention. YDI, OP, YDI. Pay attention next time.

dudeitsdanny 9

Well, everywhere else it's illegal to do that. Doesn't matter if it's supposed to stop.. It's illegal. Of course, Houston IS in Texas.. And we ARE talking about gasoline..

azouwa 26

Mine did. Once. Good thing I was RIGHT there. I stopped it asap.

the gas stations here in MI will actually stop your gas if you leave your pump unattended, so TECHNICALLY that was THEIR fault, not yours! FML for u havin pay

And it's still illegal in MI to leave the pump unattended when you're pumping gas for this reason. There's signs everywhere.

Well, just so happens the OP's not from Michigan. He's from Missouri, where it's apparently not full-service, so there was no one out there to be at fault. It's just him, so he deserves to pay for the gas that he took from them. YDI completely. But at least you learned a valuable lesson. Definitely worth $53.

Cartain 0

You're an idiot for walking away and you should not be allowed to drive a car. For one you could have caused a fire, or worse. Two, that shit goes into the ground i.e. into the water. So also, you're an idiot for complaining about the money.

As Cartain mentioned, this was incredibly stupid, especially in cold weather. We KNOW stuff goes wrong and breaks when it gets really cold or really hot. Second, it's ILLEGAL in many (and I want to say all but I'm not sure so I won't) places in the US. You have to be within watching distance, and action distance, of the pump, to prevent JUST THIS from happening. Gawd some people!