By NotDrunk - 04/04/2015 00:42 - United States - San Antonio

Today, I was pulled over by a policeman. He thought I was drunk, after doing the "walk in a straight line" test and the "finger-to-nose" test. It wasn't until after I got a fine that I got it through to him that I have cerebellar ataxia, and that I wasn't drunk. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 021
You deserved it 2 606

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should definitely be able to appeal the fine, especially if he gave it to you without a breathalyzer test as concrete proof

askullnamedbilly 33

Sorry if that's a stupid question, but how are you even allowed to drive a car with a condition that affects your coordination and balance? That doesn't sound safe at all.

Comments

I'm sorry this happened to you OP, but didn't you tell him in the beginning that you have CA?

you should file a complain and insist that your fine is rebated bc it's not right that they fine you for your illness, esp since they inconvenienced you. they didn't even give you the breathalyzer test thing ?

Maybe you should get a doctors note to keep with you, and also figure out if it is safe for you to drive .

Medical procedure differs from place to place, but where I am your doctor (or a specialist they refer you to) will conduct a driving assessment and they will issue you with an official medical certificate stating whether you may or may not drive (normally with additional stipulations like recommended maximum driving time of less than 30 minutes, the next assessment date, and so forth). If the OP didn't have an assessment then they may find it difficult to fight the fine (and honestly I'd find it hard to disagree with the judge, it would be irresponsible to drive with a serious medical condition and not have an assessment). If the OP did have an assessment then they should have a medical certificate and they shouldn't even have to appear in court, just mail a letter to the judge with a certified copy of the certificate and a request for the judge to summarily dismiss the fine so as to avoid wasting the court's time (Judges generally appreciate this because it shows that you're aware that they're busy and even if they don't agree to do it they'll be more sympathetic later and the police officer will clearly be the bad guy - especially if he doesn't bother to turn up).

Didn't the police officer ask, "Have you been drinking?" or a series of questions before doing any sobriety test? I'm surprised you got a fine vs an automatic arrest if he thought you were driving under the influence.

He was probably cited with Driving while impaired and not under the influence.

That sucks op. I have dyspraxia which causes problems with co-ordination, I carry an alert card for that sort of situation. Maybe you could get something similar

I would definitely appeal that fine! Good luck with it OP! Hopefully you get out of it!

MattStro 23

The real question is.. Did you still have to pay the fine?

self driving cars would make it legal to drink and drive. that way no one would be pulled over.

A fine? Arent you arrested for suspected DUI everywhere in the US? And is it even safe to drive with that condition?

If the condition makes you appear drunk enough to the point that you get pulled over, should you even be driving in the first place?