By pissed off mother - 05/05/2016 17:55 - United Kingdom - Leeds

Today, I was out shopping with my son and unbeknownst to me, he had secretly added a bunch of expensive games he wanted to the trolley. I was too embarrassed at the till to make a fuss as there was a huge line behind me. I watched as my normal £50 shopping bill climbed to over £400. FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 147
You deserved it 21 001

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Here's an idea. Put the damn games back and discipline your kid.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but you need to take control of your life before your son ends up the most spoiled, demanding child you've ever met. You taught him a lesson today - "Mom won't cause a scene, so I can get away with whatever I want in a public place".

Comments

kitkatmiaow 21

I (being English) understand your hatred of making a scene. But you should take your son to customer services and make him return the games and make you son apologise to the cashier and explain what he did and why it's wrong ! Then you should ban him from games for a good few weeks to teach him a lesson!!!

askullnamedbilly 33

I really don't understand you, there wouldn't even have been a scene - you could've just calmly told the cashier 'Oh I'm sorry, my son must've added those without asking first, can we put them to the side?' I mean, what would your son have done? It's not like he can force you to buy things you don't want. Worst case scenario he drops to the floor and has a massive tantrum - and in that case, just pick up your shopping and walk to the exit. He's not gonna stay there if there is no one to watch his performance.

As a cashier in a convenience store I often see kids adding candy on the counter without their parents noticing. I just ask if they want to buy it or not, and if they don't I put it out of sight next to me. It helps avoid a tantrum as well as the kids don't see the parents putting it away in front of them.

you get a big YDI from me; you don't get to say FML in my opinion if you had a chance to put the toys back and save the money but didn't take it. i think others'd have understood as long as you didn't take too long to deliberate (which i don't think you would have since you already mentioned you didn't wanna buy the toys).

Really?? You let your child get away with this? Doesn't matter if there was a queue there was no need to buy them. I used to work as a checkout operator and I never grumbled if I had to hide something the kid wanted or put stuff back, I would rather quickly do that then parent have a spaz or can't afford to pay and hold things up. Your child now knows they are spoiled and can get away with anything in public because you don't want a scene.

yeaaah hate to say this OP but my boy would have gotten his a** spanked in the middle of walmart and I dare a m*********** to tell me how to discipline my child.

I'm the m*********** taking the dare. and really, whatever you think, spanking a kid doesn't teach him anything but "it hurts but it's over in a minute" and "when people weaker than me don't act like i want them to it's okay to hit them." You're not disciplining him at all, you're just teaching him to be an asshole and take hits. Have a good day.

Oh shut up. No one can tell another parent how to discipline their kid. I spank mine and guess what, he listens! Holy shit no way! If you want to raise pretentious little assholes like the OP, then go ahead.

Sady_Ct 37

I got spanked, and now as an adult, I thank my parents for teaching me that there are unpleasant consequences to my bratty actions. Any creature that raises its young ‘spanks’ their offspring when they are being brats, to teach them socially acceptable behaviour.

....Seriously? Congrats on making it so your son will probably do this again, as well as more serious acts. If you can't or won't discipline your son in public because you don't want to "make a fuss" you need help. As it stands now, you basically just told your son he can extort you by making it so telling him no will, "make a fuss." How long until he does something with serious repurcussions because you are too scared to tell him no? Not to mention this also sounds like it could just be flat out lazy. So as it stands, you're either a coward or just plain lazy, in my opinion. It wouldn't have been that difficult to say "Sorry, my son put those up there without my permission. Can you take them off? I'll have a discussion about why he shouldn't do that when we get home."

In stores you can ALWAYS ask the cashier to put away items you dont want.

If he sees that it worked this time, he's probably gonna do it again

Talis99 26

"Too embarrassed?" Please. You totally deserved this if you're that weak in front of your child. You just give them to the cashier, tell them sorry for the inconvenience, and if the kid raises a fuss, tell them you'll deal with them at home. Be a parent. There's enough people like you who can't raise kids and no wonder there's such a sense of entitlement.