By Lilly - 02/10/2013 12:43 - United States - Conway

Today, I was on a dinner date with a guy I really like. I guess I was on my phone too much because halfway through the date he sent me a text saying how much my half of the bill would be. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 679
You deserved it 124 272

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's incredibly rude of you. You "guess"?! I'd would say that you were. Be a little more polite next time and stash your phone away; the newest twitter updates can wait.

You really like him, huh? You really showed it. YDI

Comments

You should never be on your phone too much during date. It's disrespectful. :)

you should NEVER be on your phone during a date! At least until you have been in the relationship for a while, even then I would keep it to a minimum.

I bet you posted this from your phone, too, OP.

Sweetpea22 14

You deserve this big time. I have no sympathy for women who are addicted to their cellphones and ignore their dates. You're lucky he didn't make you pay for the whole thing

TheDrifter 23

Sounds like he could have got up and left and she wouldn't have noticed.

LittleRed79 39

It's definitely not just women. I went on a date with a guy that did the same to me once. Note that I said A date. Actually, it was more like half a date...

purpose of a date is to get to know someone new a little bit better.. not to text people you already knew. ydi , he didn't.

That's incredibly inconsiderate of you. Dates are meant to talk and be social. Not on social sites.

Mr_Mole 24

I'm waiting for his version to come on here. "Today, I was on a date with a girl who spent so much time on her phone, that I had to text her to get her attention. FML"

That was perfectly justified on your date's part. Being on your phone for more than a few seconds here and there while you're on a date is very impolite. It sends the message that the person whose company you're in is less important than whatever you're doing on your phone.

In general, I agree. However, I can think of a few instances where it's not a breech of etiquette, such as checking the time, or searching for content online to show the person you're with that may be interesting or relevant to something being discussed. That's what I was referring to when I said "a few seconds here or there".

trying to play it cool, maybe? instead you look like a rude person.

That is what I was thinking. "Oh look how popular I am, you have to compete for my attention." It seemed to backfire on her though.

thegood1sRtaken 8

YDI, that is so impolite! To be honest I would have paid for my half and just left you there to make your own way home you wouldn't even be worth the change to send you a text.

Beepbeep7 14

YDI OP.You apparently have no social skills when it comes to dating.If you like the guy so much you should have left your phone alone.The only way this would have been acceptable is if it had been an emergency.And no,your best friend having a meltdown would not be in that category.I feel sorry for him and hopes he finds someone considerate enough to show him respect and pay him attention.

if you best friends actually having a meltdown you shouldn't ignore her because you're on a first date with some guy, but i agree with the rest of your comment

Beepbeep7 14

Meltdown in an overly dramatic way.I didn't mean that as in an actual crisis.