By whatproject - 24/09/2009 09:50 - United States

Today, I was offered to attend a Buddhist ceremony by one of my regular customers. Not wanting to offend the couple, I made an excuse about have a project for oceanography. Surprise, the husband is an oceanographer and wants to help me with my imaginary project. Karma much? FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 438
You deserved it 51 070

Same thing different taste

Alexa, play "Policy of Truth" by Depeche Mode

By is there a environmental scientist in the house? - 05/03/2013 08:48 - United States - Walnut Creek

Today, wanting to impress my date, I bullshitted her about how I was an environmental scientist. She got so impressed that she invited me over to her place. Not her home, her office. So that I could give her pointers on her current project. She's a real environmental scientist. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 586
You deserved it 76 665

Top comments

You should've just gone to the ceremony. Could've been a good experience. OR if you really didn't want to go, they would probably understand if you just told them. Buddhists are generally understanding people.

Next time, try creating a slightly less outlandish lie. Like, you have to attend the G8 Summit that day, or "I'm sorry, that's my Nude Day". Nude Day always works ;)

Comments

_cheeseballs 0

No, it's not 'karma much' shut up. D'; It's a kinda fml, but I wish people would stop with the "apparently.." "karma" and "I guess I was wrong"

Yeah, the "I guess I was wrong" structure is getting a little repetitive.

just say you dont need help, and thank him for his offer. say there are already a few people already in your group and the project is going well. say that if he does need anything that you'll call him.

Buddhism is more of a philosophy than a religion, and the experience probably would have been a good one. Buddhists don't try to convert others, because thats not what its about, so I think that "shoving religion down their throat" was inappropriately used. Nevertheless, if you felt uncomfortable, the best thing to do would have been to be honest and politely decline...

This guy offered to skip out on his wedding to help you?!?? Intense!!

You answered yourself. Gotta love karma, OP. :)

FML? You stepped right into that one. *bonk* That's gotta hurt, but it's still self-afflicted. YDI. #10,19 It's true that Buddhism feels more of a philosophy than it does a religion, but there is the manner of philosophical acceptance to deal with. Of course, this is true of most (if not all) worldviews and not just religious ones. However, regarding personal views, the belief that a person can go through life without stepping on someone else's equivalent of the proverbial toe is rather delusional and self-deceptive at best. What can you do but just move on? *shrugs* Try to chill, doods.

I agree that there is Buddhist is a philosophy rather than a religion, OP should have gone. And while I agree that you can't "go through life without stepping on someone else's equivalent of the proverbial toe", that's a belief that is scientifically possible, and you don't end up being tortured for the eternity if you can't do it.

It doesn't fit into the judeo-christian model, but Buddhism is most certainly a religion.

Well, in the technical sense that it follows a dictionarily held model (yes, I realize that I just made up the word "dictionarily"), it does qualify as a religion. It's the principle mechanics of Buddhist philosophy that makes it "feel" like it really isn't one (which is why I was saying "feels like" instead of "definitely is"). As for #26's assertion, yes, logic does dictate that it is scientifically possible. That is true. On the other hand, human history makes it appear highly improbable. Scientifically and logically speaking, of course, the concept of human fallibility unfortunately also makes it not completely possible to tell. (Yes, both logic and science can be annoyingly ouroboros at times, can't they?) Rather than taking the possibility of a finite probability as self-assurance though, I usually recommend that people instead view themselves as capable of making the same mistake and that they can consequently better themselves by finding ways to prevent, avoid, or rise above it; or, if the mistake has already been made, they could learn from it and be the wiser. In so doing, people are given the opportunity to grant themselves the power to overcome without a dependency on scientific probability, and they similarly won't have to wallow away in a sea of self-inflicted misery (unless they really choose to, of course, at which point guidance almost becomes a necessity). Self-reliance can be a very useful tool. PS Naturally, that's just a suggestion.

phobiaoffears 0

I would just say that you're not allowed to have any help on the project, but thanks anyway. Or yeah, you could just go. But I understand why you wouldn't want to go... or why other people wouldn't go. I know I wouldn't go. It has nothing to do with not wanting to be around that religion or blah blah blah. It had to do with the fact that it's a customer, and not a friend. And some people just feel awkward around social interactions that only have people they don't really know.

Fair enough, #27. That would all be valid, if OP hadn't taken the time to mention that it was a Buddhist ceremony. If her problem with going had anything to do with her (lack of) friendship with the people inviting her, then why would she mention what it was, as if that was important?