By thebiteof87 - 01/06/2015 12:06 - Australia - Melbourne

Today, I was having a panic attack so I went to my mum for support. She blocked her ears because my heavy breathing was annoying her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 134
You deserved it 3 085

thebiteof87 tells us more.

Hey OP here It's interesting reading all the comments that you guys are writing. It's interesting how a lot of you are saying that my mum has misophonia, which i agree with since she always gets annoyed when she hears me chewing, sneezing or just making loud, repetitive noises, but it still hurt me that she did that. She does have her own problems with anxiety herself, but at the time she was just watching tv so i went and sat next to her. We are pretty close but there is a bit of a communication gap here and there. I get a lot of anxiety due to the fact that i am a transgender boy and i'm going through a lot. Therapy and medication don't seem to help my anxiety though. Thx for the support.

Top comments

FYL OP, but shouldn't your mother know what your panic attacks are like? I see some serious communication problems here that should be fixed.

I'm sorry OP, as someone who deals with anxiety, SAD, and panic attacks on a regular basis I know how it feels to not have someone there for you. It truly sucks

Comments

Good to know your mom is there for you. FYL

Attacksloth 33

There's a lot of panic attack / OCD / depression FMLs popping up, and they are definitely FML-worthy (from someone who has had severe depression for years and nearly constant anxiety issues). Communication is, however, a two-way street. Your mom was being rude, but is this a frequent occurrence? Is this the first time you've gone to your mother for support? Have you guys worked out a plan which both of you are able to follow? What steps have you taken to help yourself? I'm not dismissing your anxiety with what I'm about to say. It's just, try to think of it from the family member's perspective. It may be that you can't actually do it. I know I can't during a panic attack. Family members of people with these problems also don't know how to react or put themselves in your shoes. They too are unsure of what to do, or how to stop the problem. It overwhelms their senses, their minds, and it makes them feel helpless. My wife has threatened divorce at least 10 times if I do not get my anxiety and depression under control. To an outside observer, that sounds like a heartless, bitchy thing to say. We, as panic sufferers know that we can't suddenly snap out of it. We need to ride the anxiety through to its end using various techniques like mindfulness, deep breathing, transcendental meditation, etc. Everyone experiences anxiety, but a smaller percentage of people experience it so much that it actually profoundly interferes with their lives. To those who do not have experience with this sort of mental anguish, "snapping out of it" or blocking it out is the logical thing to do, because it has worked for them and their everyday anxiety 9 times out of 10. These threats have a very deep-rooted cause. I mention my anxiety and health-related problems to my wife every single day, usually before we go to bed, when she comes home from work, when she wakes up, or during something that should be fun. She perceives that I am always thinking about this, which isn't untrue, but also that it is selfish, again, depending on your perspective, this is also not untrue. I think with this sort of thing, responsibility should be placed on you, and whoever you are close with. Both parties should be working towards mutual respect and understanding. It's one of the reasons why I'm doing counselling for myself and with my wife. It is a defeatist mentality to just accept that things are never going to change. Accept the anxiety, disconnect it from your own sense of being and identity, realize that it can't actually hurt you, but don't think that it is something permanent, haunting, something you need to just relegate to "I'm having a panic attack but I can't help it". The panic is scary, the anxiety is crippling, but you can do things to help yourself and lessen the burden on your loved ones, who probably aren't trained psychotherapists or counsellors. Everything is a habit, and despite how hard kicking one might be, it is possible to at least decrease how much it disrupts your life. Me, you, everyone else with similar problems CAN kick the problem. It's nearly impossible to visualize this during an episode of panic, but in addition to demanding respect and understanding from your loved ones, you too should be working on a solution to decrease how prevalent this problem is in your life, because, as my wife and my father know, me coming up to them all the time and flipping out, without being receptive to what they say, makes them feel powerless as well.

Wow, thanks for the novel. Should probably post this to Facebook for everyone to see there too

Totally. You literally wrote your heart out.

Attacksloth 33

To be clear 1. This is basically an anonymous outlet to help out numerous people with the same problem 2. I'm extremely fast at typing 3. I'm very passionate about helping people with similar problems, even if it is on a silly website 4. The personal anecdotes are only there to provide context 5. Constructive procrastination

Attacksloth 33

TL;DR Version: 1. Work out a plan which demands respect from both you and the family member 2. It is possible to change despite it not seeming that way 3. Family members also get stressed and feel hopeless when their loved ones have this problem 4. Everyone gets anxiety, but when it takes over, get help from professionals 5. Family members are probably not trained counsellors so they do not know how to react or help, rendering them helpless

Wow, this is pretty awesome and kinda sums up everything really well. I also suffered daily from panic attacks and my doctor put me on Xanax, which didn't help and I stopped after 2 months of taking it. Then she referred me to a therapist. That kinda helped but what really helped was my husband, who pretty much told me how he felt when I had panic attacks but he is my actual balm the entire time. I can kinda understand where your wife is coming from, but that still is not right to say to your significant other. It is hard to get a hold of and really scary to deal with. Op may just want to talk to their mother afterwards and figure out something. I know my own parents have seen me having a panic attack and it scared the hell out of them but they were supportive and my father actually felt my pulse to make sure I was okay and held me as I dealt with it. My mom had me sit on from of the television and watch something with her to calm me down. I would kinda suggest to OP to also see what helps stop a panic attack because when I watch tv it helps, as much as its as stupid as it sounds.

MzZombicidal 36

#36, if you'd bother to use those fancy things people call eyes to actually read what he wrote, you'd see he has a life and wanted to share his thoughts and advice to someone suffering a panic attack. Guess it's easier to just be a dick though, huh?

blairvic 23

OP PLEASE READ: I know that what she did must seem very rude, but if breathing annoys her, that's called misophonia! Please let her know if she doesn't already. Again, I know it'd suck to have her do that, but the rage or disgust or annoyance she feels when your breathing "triggers" her could easily be just as bad as your panic attack (I get panic attacks sometimes and have misophonia, I know how both feel).

I know how panic attacks are, I have had a few in the past three years. I guess they can be stressful on everyone. but that is a bit ridiculous.

Shoulda screamed and asked if that was quieter for her. I'm sorry about your panic attack though. I was on medication for a few years for mine, so I feel your pain. Hope they get better hun.

CyberSeeker 20

Hope you can get through your panic attacks