By MikaykayUnicorn - 16/08/2015 03:41 - United States - Blanchard

Today, I was forced to watch my 5 year old cousin. In an attempt to get him to sit still for a minute, I challenged him to a thumb wrestling match. It's been 2 hours and he keeps thumb wrestling me. If I stop, he cries. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 055
You deserved it 3 882

MikaykayUnicorn tells us more.

MikaykayUnicorn 36

Hi, I'm the OP. To clarify, he comes from a terrible home. Mother is a druggie, father is abusive. Doesn't get much attention, so I decided to give him a little. I didn't think, however, he would get upset every time I tried to do something else. He is a really sweet kid, he just has a lot of energy and no one wants to spend any time with him so the energy is built up. And by "cries," I didn't mean tears, (his father would hit him whenever he cried and tell him to be a man, so he doesn't cry) I meant crying as in whining.

Top comments

19990231 29

Just stop, he can't always get what he wants. Otherwise, you could try to get him to try a different activity.

Comments

Try to take a snack break maybe that'll work.

Have you tried a movie with popcorn and juice spiked with Benadryl?

Ooh, yeah! And maybe next you can try some Aspirin!

MikaykayUnicorn 36

We actually considered giving him benadryl, but without consent from his parents (he was visiting from a different state with his grandmother and others) it is technically illegal to give him any kind of medication and his parents are almost never available via the phone.

The little guy is always used to getting his way and when he doesn't, he cries thus getting what he wants to stop him from crying. Sorry to say but OP you need to man up to the little dude.

5 is plenty old enough for him to know that crying doesn't get him what he wants. You (and my ex-wife) would do well to learn that lesson :)

You got him to sit still though didn't you?

Just stop if you don't want to. He'll learn that it doesn't always go your way.

Technically, you succeeded at getting him to sit still. Now it's up to you, the hero, to find the child something else to do that doesn't involve creating an apocalypse.

Just stop. You can't spoil him. Don't feel bad, that's not a good reason for him to cry. There must be some other activity he can try

Turn on the TV, put it in a kids channel, get some head phones and enjoy your peace. If it doesn't work, get a fake hand, slowly replace the thumbs and run before he finds out.

404wan 19

So let him cry? right now you're teaching him that he can get what he wants by crying, which is the absolute worst thing you can do.

Yes. The world doesn't need any more special snowflakes who can't take a 'no'.