By Why? - 31/05/2017 10:49

Today, I was fired for the first time in my life from a job that I actually loved and was passionate about. Apparently, none of my coworkers liked me and they thought that was a good enough reason to fire me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 080
You deserved it 681

LikeLegitness tells us more.

Hey guys this is the OP here. I just wanted to give a little more background and clear some stuff up. So I didn't have the job for very long but it was something that I've been wanting to do for a long time which is working with animals. During my short period of time there I barely talked to my co-workers because there was just too much work to do and not enough time to do it. But when I did have some time to spare I would casually talk to them. I could tell they didn't love me but I thought it was just because I was new but they didn't seem to hate me either because they were nice enough to my face. My manager just told me people were making comments about me and how I worked and I wished that they came to me instead of just getting rid of me. I was a bit shocked to say the least and was very upset but it is what it is and I'm moving on. Thanks for reading and for posting my first FML.

Top comments

I've got to wonder if you being passionate about the job meant you were constantly telling people what to do and how to do it.

WeirdUS 29

Did that passion also involve possibly making you a pain in the ass for everyone else. Passion doesn't equal being good at your job. Worked with a guy at my last job he was passionate, but also clueless and was pretty much universally disliked. by everyone on the team.

Comments

WeirdUS 29

Did that passion also involve possibly making you a pain in the ass for everyone else. Passion doesn't equal being good at your job. Worked with a guy at my last job he was passionate, but also clueless and was pretty much universally disliked. by everyone on the team.

This might sound harsh, but if the employees can't get along it will likely cause conflicts that will hurt the company's interests in the long term. Sucks to lose your job tho.

I've got to wonder if you being passionate about the job meant you were constantly telling people what to do and how to do it.

Surprise. It most states it is a good enough reason. http://employment.findlaw.com/hiring-process/at-will-employee-faq-s.html

Obviously I meant "In" most states. No edit?

Interpersonal skills are important in any workplace. It just takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch, and nobody wants to be part of a toxic work environment. Not everyone is naturally good at building positive relationships with other people, but it's a skill that can be learned (or faked). I recommend reading Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People." There is also an audiobook version on YouTube. It's great to have a few techniques to fall back on, especially if you don't generally care about what other people think and are more academically oriented. You won't always be liked by everyone, but you'll get much farther ahead in life if people enjoy being around you and want to see you succeed.

WinPoe 3

That sucks, Op. It hurts to hear people you thought liked you, in a place you were happy, actually didn't. I would hope you find the right fit in the future.

Um isn't that illegal? That's not just cause

You can actually be fired for any reason. They just can't fight unemployment on some. And some companies themselves have rules on why you can and cannot be fires.

It depends on where you live. In Sweden if they fired you for that you'd get a pretty sweet settlement, probably up to a years salary, when you take them to court for firing you without cause.

In Texas they can fire you for no reason at all.

Most states are "At will", you can get fired for any reason that isn't outright discrimination. And even then, you'd have to prove it was. Basically, if they find out you're gay and fire you that minute..it's obviously discrimination. But if they wait a week or month...then it's hard to prove. But yeah....you can very legally get fired for not being liked.

I feel like there is more to the story here... especially if NONE of your co-workers like you. Not one, not two, but none. That speaks to either a seriously abrasive personality or something bigger. And if you live in the US, a lot of states have that work to rule thing or whatever it's called (not from the US, so I forget), where yes, they can literally fire you for almost anything.

mariri9206 32

You're thinking of at-will employment where you can be fired for no reason with no notice. It also works for if you decide to quit but quitting with no notice won't get you a good recommendation so it doesn't happen often. If someone tells you it's called "right to work," they're wrong and that's a completely different thing. Right to work is a company can't punish you by taking away work hours because you decide to join or not join a union. Hope this explains it for you! :)

Ah thank you! Yes, that's what I was thinking of. I have no idea why I mixed the two terms up when they are definitely completely different things!

mariri9206 32

You're quite welcome. And don't worry too much about mixing them up - I've seen other people (even some who do live in the US) mix them up and just not know the difference between right to work at-will employment. lol

None of your coworkers like you? Who is the common denominator here?