By deuceaddict - 03/11/2017 21:00

Today, I was confronted by my superiors for spending a "suspicious" amount of time in the bathroom every day. Not only did I have to take the test, but I also had to send in a doctor's note proving that I have a bowel condition I'd hoped to keep secret. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 751
You deserved it 293

Same thing different taste

Top comments

They should leave you alone about it now, on the bright side. Plus, now that they know it's a medical condition they can't fire or reprimand you for your amount of time spent in the bathroom because it would be discrimination for a medical condition. It also shouldn't be told to anyone that isn't your manager, so your coworkers should remain oblivious.

Presumably a drug test- people with drug addictions will use bathrooms as a private location to use their drug of choice.

Comments

Hey, when you really gotta go, you really gotta go.

They should leave you alone about it now, on the bright side. Plus, now that they know it's a medical condition they can't fire or reprimand you for your amount of time spent in the bathroom because it would be discrimination for a medical condition. It also shouldn't be told to anyone that isn't your manager, so your coworkers should remain oblivious.

Since he is clearly away from his work for long periods of time, they can, legally and with cause, fire him for failing to disclose his medical condition. If they do let him keep the job, he can be denied employer extended medical benefits, face a wage review (less work means less pay), be moved to a lesser position or have his hours cut. In extreme cases he can even be sued or face other legal action.

Unfortunately, it doesn't necessarily work that way. If they can tie it to an existing time-and-attendance policy, they can fire you under that without ever having to cite the condition. Having a documented condition doesn't exempt you from policies unless you have a written agreement (such as an ADA accommodation) that says this condition exempts you. And if they deny an accommodation, your only recourse is a lawsuit.

Presumably a drug test- people with drug addictions will use bathrooms as a private location to use their drug of choice.

exileonmainst 16

Same thing happened to me. Well, kind of.. I have a bowl condition, I do too much pottery.

Have a shit sitting at your desk. Let them decide if the "extra breaks" are worth it.

Sounds like a ... ... wait on it ... IBS-y situation!

Obviously, while a medical condition is beyond your control, it is your own fault of you failed to disclose either a pre-existing or recent medical condition to your employer that could impact upon your work. While they can no longer reprimand you for the time you spend in the bathroom, they would be fully capable of dismissing you for failure to disclose relevant medical information. Only upper management and your HR department should be aware of the issue, so your condition will not become widely known amongst your colleagues; if it does, you may have a legal case against your employer for allowing personal medical information to be spread amongst your workplace, causing you undue stress and embarrassment. In future, tell your employer about any condition that can impact your ability to do your job!

I sympathize. I was fired from a job several years ago over a similar issue…not because of the issue itself, but because they made me use FMLA leave time to not get written up for being away from my desk for so long. When I ran out of FMLA time, they denied an extension and an ADA accommodation for my well-documented condition, then wrote me up anyway. Time and attendance policies are such sh*t.

I'm confused. what test? and if youre in the bathroom a lot I can understand it being questioned.