By Anonymous - 15/09/2013 07:53 - United States - Carbondale

Today, I was complimented by a stranger, who said I looked great in my outfit. I thanked her, and she immediately gave me a fist-bump. I stared curiously, and she explained: she was arguing with her friends about whether I'm a man or a woman. The pitch of my voice was the answer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 456
You deserved it 4 514

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should have confused them and began talking in a different pitch

She didnt have to explain it, though. Ignorance is bliss sometimes :/

Comments

WolfAtTheDoor 7

What's wrong with people who feel the need to be so rude to complete strangers? Should've told her, in retaliation, that you were having a personal bet with yourself about whether or not she was a tactless bitch, to which your answer is now "yes."

perdix 29

Don't wear unisex clothing. If your features are androgynous, you have to dress in either flowery dresses or a football uniform (with helmet.) Ps: I see the gender you claim, but I'm not convinced.

Psycho_Babydoll 26

Actually, no. You don't HAVE to dress a certain way, regardless of how you look.

perdix 29

#27, you are right, that is, if you don't mind having others uncertain about your gender. Maybe you're into that sort of thing.

Questioning looks from strangers turn me on ;)

Your are wrong since I have big boobs and strangers think I'm a guy and I wear jeans and graphic t shirts

threer 30

...... That destroyed humanity.....,

59- Shutup. Perdix- I believe your original comment may have gone the way of the geese and flew over some heads. :-) And just to confuse everyone- I go out in a footbal uniform all the time.. but I lost my helmet on the bus after I licked all the sparkles off. :-P

there are a lot of people mistaken for the other gender on fml lately.

perdix 29

#21, you're new here. A while back, there was an epidemic of Indeterminate Gender stories. If it wasn't one of those, it was an Underpaid Babysitter one.

They all come in waves. Like a user reads one and it reminds them of something that happened to them once, then put it into format and click submit.

why can't people just mind their own ******* business

Ch_rae5 19

I totally agree, people just need to learn.

Yes, when it comes to window smashing to save a cabbage patch kid or a stuffed animal, people need to mind their own business, but what's so bad about asking a question? Why can't we all just be pleasant to one another? I'd prefer to live in a world were people are allowed to talk to each other and ask questions rather than a world where no one is allowed to talk to people and with lots of taboo subjects as if everything were offensive. Why not be open and friendly? Why should we all pretend girls have to be girly and guys have to be super masculine? Too many rigid gender roles, man.

Did you proceed to them you were a girl, in a deep voice?

I'm a pretty non tactile person. I'm more perturbed by the fact that someone fist bumped you, that you didn't know, without much warning, than I am by the fact they couldn't determine your gender!

I thought the first bump started so you didn't actually have to touch people in a handshake situation

Oh... so I should stop grabbing people my the crotch when I meet them?

I like how your sex is listed that helps and doesn't make me wonder.., That happens...but a good pitch balance and a fake name that's transsexual can keep them wondering...

You mean a gender neutral name like don/dawn or jo/joe. There is no such thing as a "transexual name" unless you count Frankenfurter.

Well bisexual name sounded bad so I twisted it...

That makes no sense... Female =/= high voice, male =/= low voice. I could see if she had ASKED what your sex was in order to win the bet, but if you looked a bit androgynous and had a high voice there's still a fifty-fifty chance you could have been male. That said, I sound SUPER young on the phone/recorded despite being 29, so I got the, "Are your parents home?" thing for a long time. XD

MerrikBarbarian 9

Also transmen who are early in transition may look androgynous and sound feminine... But calling them female is pretty insulting. Biological sex or pitch of voice does not equal gender.

There's that too, absolutely. I don't understand this obsession with needing to know a stranger's sex or gender. Unless I plan on dating them, it's none of my business, and most of the time it doesn't even cross my mind, so I couldn't even begin to imagine the thought process that goes behind actually going up to someone and speculating on whether they're male or female.

Its simular to inquiring about someones race. My BFF used to forget I was female all the time... I would forget he was black. Its not something we readily thought about when discribing each other to someone else.

Some people are just very social and they are interested in interacting with strangers. So when they're not sure what gender a person identifies with, or what sex they are, instead of forgetting about it and moving on, they will be more open about it and try to find out. There's nothing wrong with being a bit more social and extroverted, and approaching a stranger to ask them about their gender/sex. Its good for people to mind their own business and not get in people's way, but simply asking a question is perfectly fine. Besides, they weren't being rude, just curious. Its totally okay to dress more neutral :)

Sorry, but I can't equate 'being social' with 'going up to a stranger and asking their sex/gender'. It seems extremely invasive and rude to me, and as #51 said, if there's transitioning involved, it could make the person feel even more uncomfortable than just having a stranger coming up to you and being all, "So are you a girl?!" If you want to speculate, that's fine. If you want to laugh at someone's shoes, or admire their purse from afar, knock yourself out, but casual conversations with strangers should not involve the third degree about their sex or gender.