By Anonymous - 10/12/2009 00:53 - United States

Today, I was attending a drug-free lecture at school. The speaker said, "There are many ways to quit smoking. You can try patches, gum, or even quitting cold turkey. Any questions?" I raised my hand, and she called on me. I asked, "How does cold turkey help?" And then I realized. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 168
You deserved it 40 567

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Cold turkey helps because it's yummy. You'll be too busy eating it to smoke.

Isn't the whole point of School that you ask a question when you don't know something? I'm sorry, but you sound like an idiot. What will this person learn by NOT asking questions? Regardless, they actually did say "And then I realised" so they obviously figured it out anyway.

Comments

hahaha. hilarious! i think you and i would get along.

Yulia_fml 0

I wonder what the real reason behind the expression "cold turkey" is. I'm sure it came from somewhere logical...

Cold turkey helps because you can cut a slice off, roll it up and then pretend to smoke it while you eat it. ;)

Haaa, that made me giggle an unnecessary amount. Nicely worded FML!

myvenusdoom 0

wtf? ok im not american, i dunno if u guys all have the " cold turkey" secret code or wutever, but how on earth wld cold turkey help? like dely meat cold turkey? or just a big fat old turkey dead n cold? either ways, i cant think of any possible way it wld work, useless..

To quit something cold turkey means to just simply give it up all at once, rather than slowly training yourself off of the addiction. So, instead of going from smoking a pack of cigarettes a day down to half a pack, then to a quarter of a pack, then to 2 cigs a day....the person would simply take all of their cigarettes, throw them out, and try to never touch one again. It's known to often lead to failure. It's possible to quit something cold turkey, but it's similar to going on a crash diet, after a week or so, the person gives up.

The expression was used for drug addicts who would simply quit drugs all together, & they would get goosebumps that resembled uncooked turkey skin. (:

I always wondered where that term came from. I quit smoking cold-turkey. I haven't had a cigarette in almost 2 years. I tried one puff several months ago and it made me sick. But then again, I smoked a half a pack a day at my worst.

I actually have never ever heard of that expression since I'm from Sweden. Now when I found out about it I realized I've done that cold turkey shit! I smoked a pack and a half for 4 and a half year. I quit 8th october and haven't even tasted a drag of a ciggarette since.

oh... so, "quitting cold turkey" is a phrase stupid me. thanks for taking your time e11ie.

Have you ever had it in a sandwich the day after Turkey Day? It's amaaaazing. The last thing on your mind after a sammie like that would be a cig. :p

LOLYLIF 0

Considering how many other people don't seem to know this phrase, its beginning to seem like this isn't much of an FML at all.