By insomnia - 22/12/2011 15:23 - United States

Today, I was at work handling the cash register. It wasn't working correctly, so I apologized to the woman I was waiting on for the delay and explained, "The cash register's being a little retarded today." Then I noticed her clearly "special" adult son standing behind her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 240
You deserved it 69 018

Same thing different taste

Top comments

nuggetmonster 12

Expand your vocabulary and learn better adjectives. Problem solved.

Haha, you are such a dick. People need to stop using retarded as an insult, it's so rude. YDI.

Comments

Actually, I would suggest you not apologize. It might work better. She's probably knows that you had no intention of insulting her or her son in anyway. If you choose to let it pass, it just means that you were calling the register retarded, nothing else. However, if you choose to apologize, you're indirectly calling her son a retard. If you didn't consider him retarded, there's no reason why you should specifically point that out.

People seriously do not realize how insulting that is... especially to someone who is mentally challenged.

I don't think it would be insulting for me to say it around a mentally challenged person, but I think calling a mentally challenged person "retarded" is an insult to that person, so I don't use the word retard to refer to mentally challenged people.

flockz 19

i hope she slapped you in your retarded face.

What for? If I was the kid's mother, I would definitely not do that. All it does is show off how uncouth I am. And that may just be worse than being handicapped.

Capt_Oblivious 10

'Special' can mean many things to describe specific people. In her sons case it means a potential disability be it physical, mental, or so forth. In your case, it just means stupid.

I hope you got fired! I know it's such a commonplace word now, but as a person going into a special ed field, people should really stop using this word as an insult.

I'm a cashier too and I'd never say the register was "retarded" to a customer... Just say its messing up.

YDI I hate it when people use that word as an insult. Especially when people think that retarded means stupid. I hope that you get fired, jerk.

wow all u hating on op for a freudian slip wen garan ****** teed almost every one u have done it at one time or another. and btw who gives a flyin **** now adays insults are so common place they're used as jokes and mean shit all and this use of a RETARDED excuse of an insult wasn't even used as an insult

You're an idiot. Despite op's word choice, that was incredibly inappropriate to say in a work setting. It was unprofessional, regardless of the woman's son's mental capabilities.

I'm sorry, was that supposed to be English?

DalPozzo13 10

Dumb ass...say the register is acting up instead of calling it retarded. Even if there wasn't a handicapped person there I'd still never say "retarded"