By coffeeburns - 19/07/2009 07:25 - United States

Today, I was at a Starbucks drive-thru and was grabbing a hot coffee when I got rear ended and my car hit the vehicle in front of me which deployed my airbag. Hot coffee can really burn when it hits your face at a high rate of speed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 283
You deserved it 3 948

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ouch that really sucks. Make the driver pay for hospital fees.

Hot coffee burns regardless of its velocity.

Comments

#3- fail. OP... I would make him pay for hospital fees, and a new cup of coffee :)

Uh, legally they'd have to anyway. Their insurance is going to shit a chicken over this one. It's bad enough to rear end a person, but to hit a person and cause bodily damage AND make their car hit the one in front of them is chaos. My boyfriend got hit while stopped at a red light by some asshole who "thought he slowed down enough" (wtf?) and racked up over $5k in hospital bills, $2k for body work on just his car and god knows how much the settlement will be. I'd imagine at least $25k since he couldn't work/play golf (his job) for a month and still has issues with it.

YDI - coffee does not fly at a 'high rate of speed'. Speed itself is a rate. You should have said a high rate of change of speed (which is acceleration) or a high rate of change of displacement (which is what velocity means). A rate of something is the occurance within a time interval. So a high occurance of speed in a time interval does not make sense.

#13 ; How the **** does that make him responsible ?

what the hell are you talking about? A typo in the post makes OP deserve hot coffee in the face?!?

That was one of the funnier comments Ive read here. Whats better is the people saying youre stupid and whatnot. Some people dont catch sarcasm. So I say good job.

biggee531 7

You can be liable by a measurement of stupidity.

He can't really be stupid because he is right. But what a waste saying that on here. No one cares about how smart you think you are in physics.

Front airbags don't deploy if you are sitting still. Wouldn't be the side airbags because it wasn't a side impact.

Airbags are deployed by accelerometers. A quick change in velocity sets them off.

No. You can be driving 30 mph and not set them off. You have to be driving at a certain speed for the front air bags to deploy from an impact.

How is this an fml? I say this all the time.. Not every inconvenient or not-perfect thing that happens to you is an fml. This one was pretty bad, but still not an fml.

trankyfran 0

Because hot coffee burns to the face is inconvenient at most, right?

ashole1990 10

why does that matter why does everyone complain that 'this shouldnt be an fml' ya'll are just mad that yours don't get chosen

Because they got rear ended hard enough that not only did their coffee spill all over their face, which can cause serious burns if it's fresh, but they also hit the car in front of them, causing major damage to their vehicle. How is this NOT an FML.

icertainlysuck 0

Starbucks is for flamers and sissys. You deserve it.

spectre1992 0

^ Dutchgunner, you're a ******* ******. He deserves it because he didn't say it correctly?? You sound like a prick.