By logic - 18/01/2016 15:16 - United Kingdom

Today, I was asked by my live-in landlord not to put too much water in the kettle because it made the utility bills too high. This is the same woman who takes daily baths. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 297
You deserved it 2 192

Same thing different taste

Top comments

next time she asks you to stop, say you're boiling water to take baths the old fashioned way

The world is full of hypocrites and its our job to deal with them lol

Comments

Exactly how is boiling water in a kettle making the utility bill to high? Does she not realize taking a shower takes up more water? Smh. I think you should try to find a new place to live, as she's being ridiculous.

Yeah I think it's time to start house hunting.

I was going to comment the same thing, but then I realized she may be talking about a bathtub bath, not a regular shower bath.

KVKdragon 26

Thank you for posting your comment, 17. I was thinking about showers too until I read your comment lol

Kristoffer 35

Showers use more water than bathtubs. They're also more effective. It's a trade-off.

I dont. It takes a lot to make me sweat and showering severely dries out my skin.

showers use less water. plug the drain and take a shower, see how full it is at the end

I would hope you are drinking the water ... So important to your very survival.

Mathalamus 24

you are suppsoed to take daily baths or showers. so i see no issue there, only that the OP is being stupid.

daily showers are one thing, but a bath takes a lot more water than a shower, so taking a bath every day would run through a lot of water

That depends on the length of the shower, 20. Still though taking a shower or bath every other day or taking short showers every day would certainly save more water than a tea kettle.

zeffra13 31

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), a full bathtub requires about 70 gallons of water, while taking a five-minute shower uses 10 to 25 gallons. I have an antique tub, which is smaller than modern tubs, and fill it halfway so I'll estimate I use 20-30 gallons per bath. If I take a shower, I let the water warm up for a minute or two so it's not ice and if I'm washing my hair and shaving I take over 10 minutes so let's go with 15 minutes of running shower so conservatively 30 gallons (slightly more to equal use water) or not conservatively 75 gallons. So safe to say I use less water to take a bath. The only way showers save water is if you don't let it warm up first and take less than 10 minute showers.

MamaChey 24

Wow! A math lesson AND tips on water conservation all in one post! FML

That's no where close to true. Baths take significantly less water than showers do

JustinJK 21

Actually taking showers daily can be detrimental to the health of your skin and hair.

#85, no-one is saying that you should shower daily, they're saying that you shouldn't take a bath daily if you want to conserve water. Op's roommate could always start alternating between shower and bathtub or keep baths to twice a week or something. And this is only if you want to bathe everyday. Personally, the only time I'll shower daily is during summer cause our Australian 38 degree heat tends to work up a sweat.

Helldemon 32

I don't see the problem. Filling the kettle to full every time you make a cup of coffee takes way longer to heat all that water than if you were only to fill it a few cups worth, plus you won't have to wait as long for it to boil. And doesn't everyone bathe every day?

Instead of posting this on FML, say it to her face.

This is the most British FML ever. Too much water in the tea kettle lol.

Lol I've got a tea kettle. I'm from NJ

thunderniron 22

Ummmmm, you DON'T take daily baths?

The number of people in the comments who don't know you can wash yourself other than with a BATH is too damn high. Never heard of showers, people?

#72 as a portuguese person, when i read bath i associate with a shower, we have expressions like "banho" for "bath" and "duche" for "shower", but we usually say "take a bath (tomar banho)" for showering and "immersion bath" for "bath" thats why i was like "who does not take a bath (shower) everyday?

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones... but two wrong's don't make a right.