By omgstfuplz - 16/09/2009 08:38 - United States

Today, I was arguing with one of my professors. She said that all married couples fight and I told her that my parents have never argued or fought about anything. When I got home my parents told me that they're getting a divorce. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 008
You deserved it 13 464

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm sorry. Actually they could be divorceing BECAUSE they never actually fought....

Comments

thatpianoguy612 0

you don't deserve the pain of that process, but that was extremely naive of you..

nonynony 0

Agreed. What confuses me is that the OP said "one of my professors." Does that mean she's in college? Reading this, I would have thought she was about 8 or 9. I'm not trying to be mean by saying that, but it's hard to believe someone who's 18+ would think that a married couple could never argue. Still, being naive doesn't mean you deserve to go through your parents' divorce. That's shitty.

Nobody deserves their parents getting divorces but it sounds like you are an argumentative little ******. Not criticising as I too have been know to be argumentative. But yes, all couples, be they friends or partners will have verbal altercations at some point or other. Besides, wouldn't it be boring if everyone agreed with everyone else. ;)

capthavoc123 0

If you thought that your parents have never, ever argued about anything, then you are a naive fool.

bl00dthorn 0

well YDI for lying about your family

Yes, all married couples fight, but that does not always lead to divorce. Perhaps your parents realized that they did not feel the same way for each other like they used to.

My Husband and I have been married for 10 years and have NEVER had a blown out fight. Not only do we live together, but we are also co-workers. Are there disagreements--at times, and we just talk to each other and get our points out. Do I get pissed, well sure, but between the both of us one of us does have a better solution, we just need to figure out who's idea is better without being stubborn and bull~headed like society is!! I think most fights are lack of communication, and lack of respect for each other! Do not tell me my marriage is off, or bad, cause I have one of the greatest marriages of any couple I know. We trust and understand each other 100%. We both raise our kids, we both work full-time, and we are happy!! IT DOES EXIST!!

Wow, rub it in our faces, I bet your husband is banging a chick on the side. I know I would if I had to see my wife (That I don't have) every second of every day.

Hey ********---I didn't say we worked every minute of every day together---did I?? Society is too quick to fight, and judge!! We respect each other, have amazing sex, and can act like adults. We both work very hard, and don't bitch about work like society does too!! I love working with him, cause his work ethic is very strong, and so is mine!! We see many couples that just bicker and annoy the **** out of each other!! That is not what a marriage is about!!

You sure did hit a nerve. We love to go out together, and we love to stay home together. We can go out with our friends, or just one of us goes out. We don't make a big issue about it!! Your comment about him having an affair was uncalled for. Whats so hard to believe about the fact that we don't fight??

nonynony 0

But that's an irrelevant argument. Yes, it's totally possible to be married and never have a huge blowout. But the OP said her parents had never even ARGUED. That's just ridiculous.

Maybe your husband represses his feelings and you're exceedingly controlling, or maybe your husband emotionally abuses you, but is so good at it, you can't actually tell. The possibilities are endless. Perhaps you think arguing with him is a sign of weakness, or maybe he thinks that. And so the winner always gets their way.

Well...at least he knows that your is possesive and you're means you are. Never having an argument in a relationship does seem like one of you is a doormat. I know my friend and his girlfriend at the time said they would just discuss things and stop arguing. A month or two later she cheated. Not arguing means suppressing your emotions which will lead to something bad. I do think that your husband having an affair is pretty likely. Or maybe you constantly force your way on him. The correct statement from the FML would be every healthy couple fights. Not fighting is a sign there is a problem. You just pretend there isn't.

What are you, 10? Welcome to the real world, some married people often have disagreements, others can have full-blown plate-hurling arguments and yours are no exception.

I hate parents who fight, but only "not in front of the children," because it is so hypocritical and warps the children. My wife says her parents never fought when she was a kid, but, ****! I see them fight now even though they are old! Either my wife has a faulty, selective memory (a distinct possiblity) or her parents used to conceal their fights from her, thus misleading her into thinking that fighting means you have a bad marriage. My parents fought in front of me and my siblings and I argue with my wife when shit happens regardless of who's in attendance. No, fighting is not great for a marriage, but it is probably less bad than bottling up resentment and hatred.

My parents never argued infront of me and my siblings, but got divorced. Now I'm a cynical, self obsessed FML reader.

Thank you, mercyFML. Sometimes I like to contribute things that might be meaningful to some. I'm not a full-time douchebag -- it's just a hobby. ;)

my parents argued in front of me all the time and still argue in front of me. They still argue and fight over everything. Does it mean they don't love each other and their marriage is in shambles? Um... actually... well...?

Amysbodybetrayal 0

My grandparents never fight. Ever. But it's not necessarily a good thing. Most of the time my grandma just lets my granddad make all the decisions and basically act like the grumpy asshole he is. A lot of the time she'll just get upset but she won't actually say anything or argue with him about it. It's not a healthy relationship, and they've been married for nearly half a century. It's not really "healthy" to fight, but it's healthier to let your feelings be known to your partner so you can actually work things out instead of just letting them simmer. My parents will have loud arguments when I'm in the house, and I don't really like it, but I know that they just have to talk through things to get things to work. OP, I am very very sorry for you. FYL indeed. I would be devastated if my parents divorced.

idk123abc 0

god knows what world you're living in if you thought your parents didnt even ARGUE. every married couple in the world argues. arguing brings you closer by getting your points across and having the other person understand you better in the end. stop being so naive.