By toxic waste - 12/02/2013 04:18 - United States - Tonawanda

Today, I unknowingly bought a house next to a former toxic waste dump. I found out by reading an article in the paper where residents are claiming that they are experiencing cancer and birth defects. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 093
You deserved it 7 255

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Not to sound rude but you should've done research before buying

That's failure to disclose. You should see a lawyer about that. You might be able to get out of there without having to sell or lose a lot of money.

Comments

Oh, this one has it all! A big backyard, lots of space, 2 fireplaces, and a 2-car garage! I wonder why it only costs $500? Maybe this experience will teach you to research before you buy.

zingline89 18

Hey I've bought plenty of houses for under $500 and only 6 tenants have passed away in them. Don't knock cheap housing until you've tried it.

**** you, my brother was one of your customers.

This FML reminds me of the episode when Lily and Marshall move to Dowisetrepla in How I Met Your Mother.

DOwnWInd of the SEwage TREatment PLAnt. I thought of this episode too.

That was a nice place. They should've just stuck with the smell.

reborndarkangel 9

The transaction is void if proper information disclosure is not made. But you will have a hard time proving it.

Research is vital. Just as you shouldn't sign any papers without reading first, you shouldn't make a purchase that large without knowing the full extent of what you're getting into. Also, if the paper says anything about your immortal soul you should probably avoid that too.

Don't take the soul thingy seriously, it's just a joke. So don't worry and sign the paper..just sign it... also don't look for fineprinted, it's irrelevant... But yeah, it sucks for OP, but before buying a house, you have to do some background check to avoid such problems. Also, always check the house itself. People like to "hide" a few flaws. Ask the help of people who already bough a house. Over the years, they might haved noticed if something has been hidden from them.

YDI, do the research BEFORE you buy a house.

Or the realtor should do this and disclose such relevant information...

fishstick557 14

Leave while you can! Or can't!

*sigh* don't really expect anyone to use their common sense anymore.

Is it wrong that I automatically assumed OP lives in New Jersey?

Idk? I hear that place has some radioactive looking people walking around. Fair guess I'd say?

adam_tajyar 10

So put ur house back on the market no ones forcing u to stay there and YDI fornnotmdoing research prior to opening and closing escrow