This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By Katie1921 - 09/02/2016 02:52 - United States - New York

Today, I tutored a third grade girl after school. She was squirming so much I thought she had to go to the bathroom. Turns out, she was just masturbating on the corner of a school chair. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 331
You deserved it 1 824

Katie1921 tells us more.

Hi guys- OP here! To answer a few questions and concerns people have said- 1. I did not tell the girl's parents - I do not have a close relationship with them other than a few "hi"s and talking about the girl's homework, also I am a high school student myself and I do not know how to handle that situation at all 2. I knew she was masturbating because she stuck her hands down her pants a few times anddd... I'm not gonna go into details, but it was pretty obvious

Top comments

these comments bother me. stuff like this has always happened we just didn't have things like the internet to share it. the kid might not have even known what she was doing, just that it felt good.

Comments

Not really coming from someone is has been having sex 4 grade and masturbating since 2 grade. Grow up bitch!!!

You have had sex in 4th grade, you know that's illegal right? You are disgusting as all hell.

As #4 said, it's quite common for children this young (and even younger) to do this type of thing because they don't realize what they're actually doing. Situations like this are a good example of why parents should be keeping open lines of communication about bodies and what's situationally appropriate and healthy and what's isn't. For example, explaining to the girl why "touching or rubbing X body part in public/at the table etc. isn't appropriate because......." Using age appropriate language and explanations of course!

Get as far away from that situation as possible.

A third grader!? Are you sure about that or just assuming? That's disturbing on so many levels.

If OP is tutoring this girl, it would be kinda obvious that OP knows the grade the child is in.

It's perfectly normal for a girl or guy at this young age to find something that make them feel good! They don't know that it's masterbathing! Or they don't know what they are doing ! They do it because it feels good! But its obvious that it's hard for us to accept it !

... Masterbathing? Is that someone who is really good at taking a bath?

#49 I love and am simultaneously intrigued and slightly wary of your user name

I learned at age 4 and knew very early on it was considered bad which is why I did it in secret. I felt guilty for the longest time until I realized it was ok to have a sexuality. I'm tired of everyone thinking kids are pure little angels who do things without understanding the action.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I'd rather not say how I learned. But I can see an 8 year old doing things. They're not babies anymore. Some may have gone through puberty at that age. It's not just this generation either.

I can remember as early as around 2 years of age. Sure the memories are vague, but they are still there. I was 2 when we had to give up our dog. I still remember the day I saw the car take her and drive off. I tried to go after her, but I couldn't catch up. She was taller than me at the time. That's one of my earliest memories. Funny thing is, I have horrible short term memory.

#22 I started masturbating around 4 as well, though back then I didn't realize what it was. Now that I'm 23 I know exactly what I was doing, but back then I would do it every night before I fell asleep simply because it felt good. I won't go into a whole lot of detail, but basically I would put one hand in a fist, cup it with the other, lay on top of that and you can figure out the rest. It's not so hard to imagine other kids doing that too, it's a normal thing. It's also normal to not do it, everybody develops differently. Oh and I wasn't sexually abused at any point in my life either.

A friend of mine told me she started masturbating when she was 5 years old. She is now 23 years old and isn't any less normal than everyone else. So, although it is very uncommon and really shocking, I think it's nothing to be concerned about. But, as some said before me, it is very important to talk to her and explain why it's inappropriate to do in class.

It's neither uncommon nor is it shocking, especially if you study child development or spend any amount of time with young children. Children don't know what they're doing is masturbating (nor are they aware of the stigma attached). It just isn't something a lot of children are conscious of doing, so it doesn't tend to go into our long term memories. But chances are, most of us did it as children. However, I can see how it can seem creepy and uncomfortable to adults who don't work around children. I remember when I first started teaching preschool, I was a little freaked out by it. But it seriously happens so often, that after the first month, it became commonplace.

ezrajab 22

Omg how involved are her parents in her life? FYL op

It's pretty entertaining seeing how many people are finding this disturbing.. She's a child and probably has no idea what she's doing, and if she does, at least she's doing a chair and not some guy