By deaddoggy - 02/03/2016 20:46 - New Zealand - Palmerston North

Today, I took my 17 year-old dog, who had been my best friend my entire life right from when I was born, to be euthanised. I had booked in advance. The vet ambled in all spritely and cheerfully asked, "Just here for a checkup, aye?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 071
You deserved it 1 538

Same thing different taste

Top comments

bandit1971 18

That's rough OP. I'm so sorry about your dog. Having to put down someone that close to you is incredibly hard, and having a vet who can't even bother to look into what they're doing is not fair to you.

Steve97 32

So sad maybe that one vet didn't know the situation :/

Comments

Mathalamus 24

maybe he didn't really know. or care. its all just part of the job. or maybe he wanted to cheer you up.

The people making puns on this one are either insensitive pricks or oblivious to the fact that there is such a thing as a bad time to try to lighten the mood.

Veterenarians are only human after all, likely he's had a full day and just wasn't paying attention too closely to the name that's up next. And just keep in mind that being a vet may be one of the more depressing jobs one could choose. Don't be mad at the vet for trying to keep a cheerful attitude.

bad_boyfriend 10

Vets don't take courses in bedside manner. My experience is that most of them are horrible with it.

It really, really depends on the vet. In my experience, most get into the profession because they love animals, and they don't make it through the training if they're not pretty good at working with them. Of course, dealing with humans and animals can be two different matters. But to expand your sample size slightly: I've had three cats, one with a heart condition requiring a lot of checkups, and I helped friends foster a stray's litter of kittens. Along the way I've dealt with multiple vets in three states, including at two veterinary teaching schools where residents and students in various stages of training join in. I've met a grand total of zero vets, zero vet students, zero residents, and one receptionist who was not great with both our cats and their people.

bad_boyfriend 10

I have had the exact opposite experience. While I have always found vet techs to be very personable, the actual veterinarians have always been horrible at bedside manner.

So...the vet had no idea they were putting an animal down?? Seems like the kind of thing you'd want to be prepared for. When you're ready for your next furry friend, consider a different vet.

pocketpixie90 6

I just put down my dog of 17 years last month; died in my arms. Let yourself grieve, it's OK to feel sad for a bit. In time your heart will heal. Hang in there OP.

They are probably just told to assume a check up, I'm sure no malice was intended

No malice, certainly, but that's the kind of assumption that can cause pain, and can cause people to change vets. It's thus bad for both morale and business, so probably isn't something vets are typically told to assume.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Pets can be just like family, it's so hard to see them go.

Sorry about your dog. Dogs are the best.