By KathleenSchuler - 05/03/2013 03:38 - United States

Today, I took a week off work because my father passed away. I was at the funeral home making arrangements when I overheard the owners complaining about how their insurance agent had left them to fend for themselves. I'm their insurance agent. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 168
You deserved it 3 593

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Speak up. I would have told them, "I'm terribly sorry that I had to take time off for my FATHER'S FUNERAL. I hope you will be able to COPE somehow!."

Forget them, you do what you need to do

Comments

People bitch, it's part of life. Just realize and remember it usually has nothing to do with you persoally and everything to do with the fact that people are selfish and LOVE having shit to complain about.

"I'm sure she has her reasons" is all you need to say, then they'd likely realize who you are and your father would get the best possible arrangements, may he rest in peace.

You could always explain that you are sorry they are inconvenienced by it. Then tell them you will work on it when you get back to the office next week. That should give them all the explanation they need.

FMLoverAgain 7

Sorry that your father died, but other people's lives go on. Be glad that your father no longer have to endure the pain and suffering of this world.

sugarshane007 20

Wait, did I just read this right? Was this comment just the marriage of sympathy, and the traditional form of 'Get over it' apathy? When the hell did Kanye get on FML?

How would you feel if someone you love died and you were told to "get over it"? Bet it wouldn't feel too good, would it? Asshole.

Lizzy500 16

Wait what? Nobody said "get over it". Funeral homes ALWAYS have someone's dead father or mother in them, it's the nature of the business. To them it's a normal day, their perspective is way different than OP's in her time of grief. If she's married, her last name probably isn't the same as her father's, and her outgoing business message probably just says "I will be out of the office all week", not "My father just died and I'm devastated", so it's quite likely the people complaining have no IDEA their agent is a close relative of the guy in the coffin. Introduce yourself as their agent, and I'm sure they'll apologize, and probably be quite embarassed.

sugarshane007 20

I knew some people that work in funeral homes. They never would have said this or reacted this way. So again, OP got Kanye'd.

Yes, to a funeral home it's a normal day. But if one owns a funeral home, one should be compassionate. That's the nature of the business. The problem isn't that they were complaining, it's that they were complaining where they could be overheard. Even if it hadn't been their insurance agent who had overheard, it could have been another customer. How would you like to hear the people who own the funeral home your father is being buried at bitching about something so trivial on what may be the worst day of your life? It's just unprofessional.

@28 im pretty sure they know what she looks like

upallnight11 19

You would expect them to be less tactless.

I'm sorry for your loss, Op. :( But pay no attention to the ignorant comments of these selfish idiots, for if they can't understand the importance and sorrow of your situation, their opinions aren't worth any consideration anyways.

"Just open your eyes And see that life is beautiful. Will you swear on your life, That no one will cry at my funeral?"

sugarshane007 20

Nikki Sixx is never an applicable comment to any FML. Ever.

Did he just say a **** star quote (nikki six) or is the extra X intentional

Bunchofdipsticks_fml 6

I apologize for your loss. Why do they need you this week? I would mention something to them, just so they know their conversations can be heard. I am sure they did not mean to be cold; but for some, funeral directing just becomes a job after a while.

TheyCallMeDamien 17

Deal with that before it festers.