By Crushgonewrong - 22/06/2016 21:42 - United States - Compton

Today, I told the cute girl in my office that she looked like she listened to country music, as an icebreaker. She blankly stared at me for what felt like forever, and responded with, "That's the worst thing you could say to a person," and walked away. She hasn't talked to me since. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 461
You deserved it 12 889

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well I kind of agree. Telling someone they "look like the kind of person who..." could easily be taken offensively.

Comments

Well I kind of agree. Telling someone they "look like the kind of person who..." could easily be taken offensively.

Atleast he didn't say "You look like the kinda girl that could take a punch"

PePziNL 20

"You look like the kind of person who would totally win in a beauty contest." HOW DARE YOU

tounces7 27

It's country music. Not Nickleback.

Country is the most universally looked down upon and disliked genre

Worst thing you could say to a person is making an arbitrary assumption about their taste in music? Must be a nice world you live in...

I agree, could of said many things far far worse...

Personally I think things such as "you look like someone who is related to a whale" or "you look like someone from Vienna who was reject from art school and decided they wanted to rule Germany" are a little bit worse.

So that's worse than being called a Hitler spawn?

One time a guy used the opener "you look Mexican (I'm half south american and a quarter Croatian) but don't worry, I think Mexican girls are sexy. You got dat ass" Ummm what? My point: it could have been worse. It seems like your intention wasn't malicious.

Why would you worry about being Mexican, even if you aren't? Skin color is just that. It has no effect on who a person is.

She was offended by it because it was fking racist and douchey.

Why would you insult the poor girl and expect a positive response?!

A weird presumption, perhaps, but hardly an actual insult. Not liking a thing does not mean you have to hate-rally against it or something... Or insult people who actually do like the thing.

Oh please, it is not an insult, he was simply guessing which didn't do him any favour but it was by no means deserve her response. I love country music but even if I don't, I wouldn't bitch the person out. Girls these days need to take a hike.

And that's your opinion. For me, it's definitely an insult.

An insult would be a phrase like, "You look ugly," not "You look like you listen to specific music." I agree that OP shouldn't have made that assumption, but seriously, people need to learn to take off their diapers and put on some big kid underwear. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's the worst thing ever on the planet to everyone. We all have different tastes. It's time we all learned that.

How is that an insult? Lol it's really not she's just being petty

Supposedly thats what America is based on, acceptance ... Americans seem to have a hard time with it though . We make everything personal.

cprad11 12

I could see how she may've taken your assumption offensively, but if you were obviously trying to be friendly, there was no need for her to respond that way and walk off. She could have pointed out that she didn't like country music. I don't really think that YDI, but perhaps you should try to apologize and start over.

cprad11 12

Yeah, it probably wasn't obvious. He definitely wasn't trying to seem unfriendly, nonetheless.

When the subject of music comes up I usually hear "I listen to a little bit of everything... except country" about 95% of the time. Guess it depends a bit in where you live though.

Well if you live in South #8 it's the exact opposite

I live in the south and more and more frequently people are listening to "gangster rap" and trying to be ghetto, Apparently being ghetto is somehow better than being redneck

I live in West Virginia. A lot of people believe that everyone here loves country music. I don't. The sound of that shit makes me want to hurt something. I'm a rock/metal fan myself. Point is, don't make stereotypes. They tend to be wrong a good deal of the time.

NotchaHue 8

No it isn't. Loved in SC my whole life and the only people I know who listen to it are the white people who live in more country areas

Everything is better than being a redneck.

Honestly, what did you expect? If someone said that to me I would assume they think I look like a simple farmer or something (I know it's stereotypical). Not very flattering.

Why don't you just ask her if she's inbred next time? jeez. FHL

What does listening to country music have to do with being inbred? There are entire countries whose monarchies are almost exclusively inbred, and they don't have country music on their radios.