By rejected - 02/10/2014 08:56 - United Kingdom - Harlow

Today, I thought I was finally over my anxiety problem, and confidently went to my first ever job interview. Halfway through, the manager tells me that if I didn't stop being so nervous, he couldn't give me the job. I cried. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 393
You deserved it 5 035

Same thing different taste

Top comments

jazmin3012 28

Aww OP! Don't feel bad for something that's out of your control!

Pretty unfair from his behalf. Hopefully it all works out though

Comments

Awh that's so insensitive :c good luck OP I hope you get a job soon!

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

That's not discrimination if the job includes highly stressful situations that OP might have trouble handling. But while I don't believe OP would put themselves in that situation, we still can't conclude that he was discriminating OP without knowing what the job was.

pharm121 21

"Anxiety" is not legally classified as a disability. If OP had dehabilitative Anxiety he/she wouldn't have even been able to leave the house for the interview....

It looks like #31, #45, all of the people who thumbed up them and all of the people who thumbed down don't understand sarcasm. I once heard that inability to detect sarcasm is an early sign of dementia. Now that's a real disability. Atleast #39 was smart enough to know I was joking. #nobraininthefmlcommunity

Well if you haven't noticed sarcasm is really hard to tell via internet, because sarcasm is measured by you're vocalization and tone. Without hearing the sarcasm in your voice and just going off of wording is near impossible to pick up on unless it's very obvious. Which in this case it wasn't. Because there is always that one person who makes a comment like that and is completely serious. And the whole sarcasm linked to dementia is just a theory. There are some people in the world who just don't pick up on emotions and sarcasm like most. And it has nothing to do with them having dementia, it's just who they are as a person.

I feel you, OP. I have horrible anxiety as well and that's the main reason I haven't had a job yet either.

mysteryguy3039 33

I now fear my first job interview

As someone with severe anxiety to the extent where I sometimes have panic attacks in public for even minor reasons, he can't justify his reasoning for saying that to you, OP. Whether its mental illness or not, keep working on it. One of the best things I ever did for myself was accept that I have a problem and to work with it everyday. Even if your circumstances are different the best thing to do is to always work on getting better until it becomes second nature. You'll eventually be able to pick up on yourself before the anxiety happens and it'll become a lot easier to deal with. Best of luck OP. You'll be ok.

I'm so sorry OP. Anyone with anxiety issues can relate. That comment would derail me too. You're already in a high stress situation and that just tips it over. If you felt even somewhat confident going in then it's probably a matter of practice. It'll help with the anxiety too. Just look at it this first interview as a practice run. I hope this doesn't stop you from feeling like you can keep getting out there and your next interview is a better experience.

FATALSTR1KE 9

You'll overcome it one day. Don't worry OP

The first job interview is rough. But after that you should already know what questions are coming.!

juturnaamo 29

Agreed. I've got anxiety and an awful stutter when I'm nervous, but knowing what I'm going to say ahead of time helps a great deal.

Anxiety is actually easy to conquer with the correct therapist. I recommend you try it. Life's too short to live in fear like that.