By anonymous - 07/08/2012 03:08 - Australia

Today, I successfully stopped my hair straightener from falling into a bathtub full of water by grabbing hold of the burning hot plates. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 923
You deserved it 8 167

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

Everyones saying at least the straightener is okay, but wouldn't it have been WAY more dangerous if a plugged in device fell in a tub of water? I think a few burns are better the what couldve happened.

Hot plates are generally not plugged in. They are oven warmed.

If things are up to code then the ground fault interrupter would trip.

Mine flipped out of my hand, and I caught it by the hot plates, then I had to go to school.

FYL for grabbing the wrong part of the iron and burning yourself painfully. YDI for having something like that next to a bathtub full of water.

StayClassyLassy 6

It's a natural instinct. You react without even thinking about it. This is similar to the fml post where a guy attempted to grab his phone from falling into a pot of boiling water/soup.

26, he said fyl for that bit, he understands the natural instinct bit. I agree with him though, she does kinda deserve it for having an electrical appliance near water!

Thanks 59, but I'm a girl :3 26- A hair straightener is one of those things that you make sure is away from the bathtub because of the safety hazard it imposes. It was really irresponsible and she could have been a lot worse off than a burned hand. Thats all I was saying; like I said, it sucks her hand was burned but she deserves it for where she decided to do her hair.

I think you'll need some ice ice baby ;)

Only if she wants to shock her skin by using actual frozen water on recently BURNED skin. That's like taking a boiled cup which would be over 100 degrees and pouring ice cold water in or on it.

Your skin doesn't stay hot after it's burned, you know...

Go get burns and put ice on it. It doesn't make the pain go away and it can cause more damage to the skin. I had third degree burns when I was two from falling in to the embers of a fire my mom but my hands on ice and the skin peeled off.

Why the **** was the bathtub full while you were about to flat iron your hair? Couldn't you have waited till whoever was going to take a bath was done? Cause if that water was hot, the humidity would have fluffed your hair right back up. Or maybe you could have used it BEFORE the water was put into the tub. Plus, you could have used a different room to do your hair in. God, there was so many ways to prevent this! Sorry, but YDI.

Maybe it wasn't full, and there was just water at the bottom of the tub. It doesn't take a full bath to damage a straightener! That happened with my straightener and it fell in like a half inch of water, and I had to get a new one:(

The FML clearly says a bathtub FULL of water. Seems people don't read anything fully anymore.

Would you have grabbed it even if it didn't have water in the tub ?

I've been in my room straightening my hair an knocked the flat iron down... I grabbed it, by the plates. So probably. It's an instinct to try to save a falling object.

A ninja would have caught it right. You bring shame.

Pretty_Pink_Lady 10

Dishonor to your family, OP.

Why do you have a plug socket near a bath? Aren't most bathrooms designed with only light sockets and the shaver socket to prevent this? Unless you're using it from outside the bathroom and you've decided it was smart to use it near a bath that im guessing either you were gonna use (why straighten your hair?) or someone else was gonna use, so you would be in the way. But, I do feel your pain. When I was 9 I tried to talk to a friend through my sister's Facebook whilst she was straightening her hair and held her straighteners between her legs whilst sitting down. As I leaned over her she picked them up and managed to burn my wrist, which I still have a nice square scar from 7 years later. Hurts like a bitch for a few weeks. I've never seen my sister so scared of my dad since then. XD

Why bother using Facebook when you are nine? I think facebook is such a waste of time- hence why I no longer have one.

I liked for the first section, the other bit you just kinda rambled..

My sister was on Facebook talking to one of my friends that lives in another country and I didn't have Facebook then, so I was using hers. Facebook had less stupid stuff on it back then. Sorry, I do ramble. :(

There is an electrical socket in my bathroom to the left toilet and the bathtub is on the right side of the the toilet. I always straighten my hair in the bathroom, over the sink because that's where my mirror is/best lighting. If I straighten my hair that is. I'm pretty burn prone, have been since I was little and had my awful accident. I've grabbed the plates and only gotten tiny scars, so maybe she didn't grab it long enough. I've burnt my ear with it and that was awful. I would have saved the straightener if it was me! I spent $100 on mine! FYL. It was obviously an accident waiting to happen anyways, so YDI as well.

Ouch!! Probably why it's a better idea to straighten your hair outside of the bathroom, perhaps in your bedroom?

This story is missing one crutial detail which is whether or not she was in the water.