By somuchhatesolittleworld - 10/05/2016 02:00 - United States - Houston

Today, I started my first training day using an MRI machine and completely forgot to remove my nipple piercings before I went in. I've never experienced a pain so vile and lingering in my life. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 218
You deserved it 10 218

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Aaaaand today I learned that if I take a MRI I have to remember to take out my nipple piercings.

Why do people get their nipples pierced??? I'm not against it or anything but It just seems like it'd hurt more than it's worth.

Comments

I bet you never, ever, ever, EVER forget that again.

Did they start to pull them out? I always wondered if the magnetism would rip a piercing right out and how long it would take, like would it rip it out as soon as it started or is it a gradual pulling? I'm terrified of having any metal on me in an MRI machine after watching that episode of House where the guy had metal in the ink of his tattoos. Scary stuff! Hope you're ok op!

I think it's only either red ink or blue ink that usually happens...I can't remember which

Lizza330 28

I've seen videos of people testing out how magnetic they are. I think it's on YouTube. They had a desk chair basically floating. But I don't really know how those work so there might be settings I'm not aware of.

Lizza330 28

@16 I looked up the tattoo thing and it looks like it is an issue with MRIs. It says as long as there's no iron in the ink then you're okay, but it also says tattoo ink isn't regulated so you'd have to check for that before you get the tattoo. Just google can tattoos mess up MRI machines.

joeyl2008 29

Myth busters tested the tattoo thing and called BS. They even tested on a range of inks and nothing happened.

Isn't the magnetics only on when the machine is on? Unless there's a crisis there's really no reason for the MRI tech to be in the same room as the machine while the machine's on. Also, the pull from the machine isn't that strong. I've worn earrings while having my hips MRIed and there was only a small tugging sensation.

Theater_Chef_3 30

There's a big difference between hips and nips

snarkytruth 37

#18 You are correct! And it does depend on proximity. As well as the type of metal content of the nipple ring. With all the schooling and years working clinicals and testing to get licensed to forget on the first day OP you have to admit ydi. Bet you never forget that a second time. Ouch!

50 if you read my comment you'll see I said I had earrings on in the machine. My hips were being MRIed at the time. I don't understand how you misread my comment so badly.

The radiologists should have mentioned that to you before you got onto the table. Any piercings will rip right out of you due to the strong magnetism. Hope you heal well!

I think she was working there I'm not too sure

orangejubejube 20

Even though I would expect OP to be familiar with the rules/procedures of they're being trained on a machine like that, you would think the instructor would do a little reminder run through of at least the safety precautions before starting.. Like with most jobs - you're supposed to read the books and know your shit, but the trainer knows you're new and should expect some first day nerves

Are they magnetic? I left my lip/ear piercings in when I got an MRI and I was perfectly fine. I used a kitchen fridge magnet to see if they stuck to it before I went in, so I think that's why I was okay, as the MRI tube has a magnet force in it. I was advised not to keep my piercings in by staff obviously, but I took a chance as they said they would stop and could remove them if they hurt during it. I kinda had to keep them in anyways because they close up ridiculously quick on me, I think they put surgical tape over them also. Same when I got an operation except I put in clear plastic bars and they covered then with tape.

LostInTheZone11 29

I'm guessing her's was magnetic. You would be right that yours were non magnetic and were not affected by machine. I have titanium alloy in my back and it does not get affected by MRIs. My guess is that may be the same type of metal for your piercings or something similar.

Yup, surgical stainless steel, I believe

Nah, stainless steel of any variety should be magnetic since it contains iron. Must be some other alloy in your piercings.

Koizumiii 23

My fridge growing up was stainless steel and much to my chagrin, I could never hand my school work on it because the magnets wouldn't stick, no matter how hard I tried.

I'm sorry, but in my radiology class they constantly talked about the need to remove all metal before going into an MRI room. I was told stories of pens flying across the room and told the newbie always goes first for a reason. I have a really hard time believing that you weren't extensively warned to not wear metal. YDI

Seems to me like YDI. Everyone in the medical field knows to take everything metal off before going into the MRI room.

I'm imagining that scene in X2 when Magneto pulls all the pins on the soldier's grenades. They all reach for the pins to keep them down, but they fly across the room (the pins do. Not the soldiers. For those who haven't seen).