By screwedfortheweek - 28/01/2016 23:39 - United States

Today, I started a new job. After being trained on several obscure computer programs I'm expected to use in just one day, my new boss informed me she's going on a week long vacation starting tomorrow. She's the only other person who knows how this program runs. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 852
You deserved it 1 488

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You, dear op, Have just entered the expert level of the game. Only the strong survive

That was harsh of her. Although I'm sure you will learn the program's well if you have to use them without help for a week. Think of it as a learning opportunity OP!

Comments

Maybe write her an email just explaining how you feel and let her know while she's gone you'll do your very best to effectively utilize the systems. It's unfortunate that's she's leaving when you need her the most.

What kind of program is it? Don't be afraid to use google to find answers or tips on how to use the program. Any issue you run into, odds are someone else has as well.

snarkytruth 37

Trial by fire! Hope you took notes. Remember most programs have a help file or manual.

Youtube tutorials will be your best friend here.

LucasVDB 23

It's called the Internet, it's full of lovely tutorials and information, use this to your advantage and show your boss that you can adapt to the situation. It will get you far my friend. Good luck.

Why does everyone assume the OP has not heard of the internet or Google? Also, some problems still aren't on the internet- there are plenty of times I've had problems with freakin' adobe that no one can answer, and that's about as common as you can get. Sorry OP, that's rough. No idea why a boss would hire someone new and then take off, unless you were hired specifically to cover their vacation.

gobiteme2 34

Ah the clever one here. I was thinking the same thing.

NanaQuealey7 4

Better get that person phone number to bug her. That's what you get haha

Time to show them what you're made of. Rise to the occassion

You should document that. That way if something happens while she's gone and then tries to put all the blame on you, you can take some proof to HR that it isn't entirely your fault because you were not properly trained.

What is "proper" training in your vernacular? Repeating the same instructions to someone over a period of 2 weeks so they "remember" it? She was trained, she just can't remember what she was told in 1 day so she should have been proactive about it and record what she was told so she can reference it later.