By Lena - 03/03/2012 00:39 - France

Today, I sprayed pepper spray on a guy who appeared to be following me. He was really cute, and was really trying to give me back my keys that I'd dropped. FML
I agree, your life sucks 362
You deserved it 819

Top comments

This is why you don't pepper spray someone unless they actually try and attack you. Get prepared if you want, but look what happens when you assume stuff. For all you know he might have just been heading the same way as you.

He was following you but he made no attempt to call out to you?

Comments

It's sad that women have been taught (often through bad experiences too) that men approaching them on the street have bad intentions, I think a lot of people giving you grief for this don't know what it's like to walk alone down a street and have to be on your guard. But you need to check your reactions, don't carry a pepper spray if you're going to use it on innocent bystanders. Maybe self defence classes would help you be able to assess situations in which you feel threatened more appropriately.

Goblin182 26

Because kicking a guy's knee in, or worse his nuts, is so much less "assault" than pepper spray?

no... they were saying a self defence class could help her learn to assess situations better and how to safely use pepper spray. Classes like that don't just teach you how to get out of dangerous situations, but also how to determine when to use those techniques.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Hmmm, if he was actually reaching out to grab her or something, ok. You're walking alone in the middle of the night in some shady area, some dude has been following you for a while and next thing you know he speeds up and tries to grab you you without warning...I could understand acting in self defense. However if he was simply walking behind her for a while (maybe he has anxiety and was hesitant to say something, maybe he wasn't sure if she was actually the one who dropped them, or wtv), then I disagree. It's not uncommon to walk in the same direction as someone. I know I've "followed" people that way for several blocks at a time, but luckily I'm a small girl so nobody suspected me. Similarly my bf happened to take the same bus, get off at the same stop, and walk down the same street as some random girl. She got scared and ran off, which I can understand. But peppering someone, which can cause serious harm (like blindness), simply because they happen to be walking behind you is NOT a good excuse imo.

Same - have inadvertently followed and caught up with a number of people. I am naturally a fast walker, so I'll most likely catch up... And chances are I won't notice you till I'm already very close. (I'm female, but not exactly tiny or harmless-looking, for the record.)

Remember that all men are potential rapists and you should be scared at all times even though men are far more likely to have something bad happen to him. The only way to combat this is to become a man hating feminist and make literally everything rape so men will be scared to help women. Then complain about men not helping women.

hellobobismyname 24

Roosh V is that you? Wow. And "men are far more likely to have something bad happen to him"? You really want to say men are victimized or targeted more than women? How about men and women BOTH are and it isn't a race or competition.

Railroader 16

waiting for the FML from the guy she sprayed.

Sandman2015 12

That's why you don't give weapons to trigger-happy morons.

Today, I got pepper sprayed by a lady who thought I was following her. I was just trying to give back her keys that she dropped. FML

Well aren't you a peppery little fire ball.

Everyone wonders why people don't randomly help out on the street anymore. It's because ignorant idiots like this woman jump to irrational conclusions and end up making shit worse. Mind your own business, bad things won't happen to you.