By verydepressed - 21/08/2013 07:18 - Russian Federation - Seversk

Today, I spent half-an-hour listening to my therapist telling me enthusiastically how people used to communicate telepathically before verbal languages were invented. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 945
You deserved it 3 674

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should have used telepathy to tell her she's an idiot. Alternately, standing up, saying "You're an idiot", and then walking out would get your point across even better.

turtlesarerad14 13

Sounds like he/she needs a therapist..

Comments

daesung 8

This person graduated college thinking that? Isn't therapy all about communication? So in psychology class, they obviously weren't paying attention when the discussion turned to how communication was before language. I do believe there is a theory of an ancient language that all languages stem from, but because nobody knows all languages known to mankind, we have no way of knowing what that language was. No. I am not making that up, I actually read a college book on the theory, I think people are calling it the "Language of the Angels" I don't remember. Wow. This comment really got away from me.

Actually, there are multiple theoretical proto-modern languages, such as PIE (Proto-Indo-European, from which people believe all European languages and Sanskrit derive). However, there are also theories that waves of proto-humans left Africa at different times and then eventually converged and interbred; if they were different species, they may have had very limited communication abilities and would have likely relied a lot more on pheromones and gestures than we do now (probably to get across basic thoughts rather than to express complex ideas as we do) and probably constructed a very rough pidgin. Interestingly, it's thought that declension initially evolved because one group of proto-humans had jaws such that it was difficult for them to form words, so giving them endings to denote their place in the thought they were trying to convey seemed like a better idea than expressing every word individually. In any case, OP's therapist is a moron, and OP shouldn't let him or her take control of the sessions like that.

Oh, and John Dee isn't considered an authority on anything. I'm surprised they mentioned this as a real thing at your university. Incidentally, even though no single person arguably knows all the languages of mankind, there are computers that can compare stems and grammar and words to figure out whether languages are related or not. Similarly there is the whole field of philology, full of brilliant individuals who are dedicating themselves to deconstructing how languages are evolving and have evolved. You have a very limited grasp of the world around you if you think it would rely on a single person to know every single language perfectly in order to figure out how an older version of the same language would have looked or sounded.

I'm not at a university yet, I just heard a talk show about it and started looking it up and reading books on the theory of it, but thank you for educating me

I'm so glad you've moved on from your fear of spiders op. this is progress.

You should have called them out on it or left considering you're paying them to talk about YOUR feelings, not listen to their nonsense.

Pretty sure your therapist is a teeny bit nuts. Might want to find a new one.... one that doesn't throw spiders in your face, either.

thats the second FML about therapists this week..whats with therapists lately

erck3800 12

further proof that people with doctorates can still be idiots...

Actuall, therapists or counsellers are rarely doctors. Many carry a graduate degree at least though and some squeak by with a bachellors.

CharresBarkrey 15

It's incredibly difficult to find work in the psychology field without a doctorate. Very very few get jobs with just a bachelors.

Therapists usually have either a master's degree or a doctorate. However, in some countries, the U.S. for example, the title psychologist can only be given to those with psychology doctorates. The word therapist as a title is a lot less restricted than psychologist or psychiatrist in most places. Therapists can be from other majors than psychology like social work or counseling. Countries do have restrictions on the practicing of therapists like licensing and things like that, but as a title it is not as readily a sign of supposed knowledge level.

perdix 29

Too bad you couldn't telepathically transmit "STFU" to your therapist. I guess that's why we invented the words, "shut the **** up!" I hope you didn't pay for they claptrap. Non-verbal communications are not the same as telepathy.