By Anonymous - 04/09/2015 17:01 - United States - Lake Forest

Today, I showed my daughter video footage from a security camera that showed her using her employee key to enter the store I own, disarming the alarm, and stealing several very valuable items. Her defense? That someone had "photoshopped" the video. We'll see how that goes down in court. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 257
You deserved it 2 897

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Having to take your own child to court can't be easy, so I'm sorry it's reached this point, OP. Hopefully everything will work itself out, and you and your daughter can make amends. Definitely change the alarm code though.

While editing vids is possible, I doubt its fake. Sorry OP.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

You don't know OP's history with his daughter. I highly doubt this was the first offense or that this was OP's first option. If their daughter has reached a point in which she uses and steals from her own father, she deserves to suffer the consequences of her actions

tarlax 11

Damn, I think I know who's gonna win the "Dumbest Comment of 2015" award.

Pretty sure OP tried to hence the photoshop excuse. She still stole from him and sometimes the only way to get your money back is with a judge and jury.

No, he's not. The fact is, she did break the law and probably stole hundreds, if not thousands of dollars worth of stuff. The fact that she's saying it's "photo shopped" means she's likely not planning on giving or paying anything back. OP is doing exactly what he should because a girl like that is not gonna respond to a "serious discussion." I also doubt that taking her to court was his first step anyways.

OP probably doesn't even have a choice. The video is evidence and the cops will confiscate it and arrest the daughter no matter what OP does.

fashionbug9880 22

Being a family member doesn't make the crime any less serious. If you'd take the case to court with a stranger, what makes the daughter any less of a criminal? She deserves to be punished. If she wasn't, who knows that she wouldn't do it again since she got away with it the first time? Being family isn't a free pass to being an asshole and a thief. If you do something bad, you pay for the consequences regardless of being family.

Megatron_Griffin 25

#12, my guess is OPs daughter is a grown ass woman, not a damn child. Im sure she's aware stealing is wrong, especially since she works in her father's store. She obviously knows they need a security system to prevent stealing, and not to mention everyone knows stealing is ******* illegal. So this woman obviously knew what she was doing and had no disregard to the consequences, so I'm sure a stern talking to isn't going to do shit. Like i said before, she's an adult, not a child. As for it being wrong for him to take his own daughter to court, our parents dish out a shit load of money to suppprt us as we grow up. I hate letting my parents spend money on me now that i understand what theyve done for me, and this bitch goes off and ******* steals from her parents. Id take her to court too, hell I'd even offer to escort her to her cell.

#12, OP's daughter deserves to go to court. Doesn't matter if it is his daughter. She is a thief, and should be treated like a thief. A real daughter would never steal from their parents and if she was my daughter, I would cut ties with her

It's a difficult situation. If this was the first offense and the daughter apologized and offered to give everything back then I'm sure the dad would be fine with talking it out with her. However, the daughter knowingly stole from her dad's business. Most likely the business that supports her or supported her in the past. When you allow your kids to do things like this without punishment they learn that it is alright. So sure maybe if he let her off easy she wouldn't do it again, but more than likely she would rob him again or someone else. What if she broke into a place and was shot as an intruder? Or stole something serious that included jail time? You have to teach people boundaries.

No, what the **** is wrong with you #12? I don't care if someone is related to me. If you steal valuable items from my store, I'm taking you to court.

There's no way this isn't bait, and all you people got reeled in.

I wanted to come here and point out how flawed your logic is, but it seems (nearly) everyone before me has it covered. How's it feel, to be so desperately alone in your opinion?

Yeah because the op would have totally done that if it was someone he wasn't related to. I hated when my boss would give special privileges to family members. This is a breath of fresh air.

If it wasn't their daughter they'd take them to court instead sitting down and talking about it so the same should go when it is the daughter. Family relationship doesn't change the fact that this girl screwed over a business and she is getting what she deserves. Sorry OP that this has happened to you it must have been a hard decision to make

Even if she was younger court might still be a good idea, seeing as I've known teenagers who've gone to court for shoplifting, this is far worse and well deserving of these measures

ChaiseT 16

Your daughter isn't very bright. This is a reflection of your parenting skills OP.

Some children are simply problematic. A person does not always reflect their upbringing.

ChopSuey444 20

Do you truthfully believe that every bad/stupid thing you've ever done is your parent's fault? We make our own decisions. Our parents don't make them for us.

A persons intelligence is not a reflection of their parent's ability to raise a child. You're not very bright, #17. I blame your parents for not beating more sense into you.

ChaiseT 16

I have enough sense not to say a video of me stealing has been photoshopped.

AtherSheep 15

Yeah, but do you have enough sense to realize that she most likely panicked? Which resulted in her saying something stupid. What she did was not a direct fault of the parenting. It's just her making a stupid decision. She more than likely knew better, but didn't care. That's not poor parenting. That's just a messed up person.

Righttttt. Because everything a child does wrong, it's always the parents' fault. Because children are always exactly like their parents.

I hope your daughter learns that if she is gonna lie, she should at least do it with skill.

I hope she learns her lesson. Stealing for family is so inconsiderate.... You've taken the right course of action.

91hayek 31

This sounds so desperate of her; she may have a drug habit or something similar.

If she does a judge can mandate for rehab. That way she can't check herself out early.

this may be the only way to make her get help for her problem.

fumanshu 9

What? You would sue your own daughter?

leogachi 15

@23 What? She would steal from her own father?

He may not be suing her. Just making her face the legal ramifications.

I know she messed up but is a mistake worth loosing you're daughter

So many things wrong with this. Where should I start?

My guess is, if she's stealing from him, that they had already lost each other and his employing her was his last ditch effort to reconnect on good terms. I just hope that this doesn't keep them from being able to be family again.

If someone goes to this extent, it's probably not the first time. Taking someone from your family to court is a really hard decision.

I'm really sorry OP, it must be really tough for you to be going through this with your own daughter. I think what people are forgetting is that reporting her to the police is not saying that you don't love or care for her. It's making her take responsibility for her actions, hopefully in a way that is recoverable. Just because you're a Father doesn't mean your hard work in establishing a business not worth saving. Stealing thousands of dollars isn't your typical 'acting out' from a teen or young adult, and hopefully going through the court system might uncover some problem or other that she may have not wanted to divulge to you, so that she can get help.

He's reporting her because he loves her. My dad had to take my sister to court for something similar to this and it saved her life. He had tried the "serious discussions" and grounding, none of it worked. It took a little while but she's in school now and they're the best of friends. With some kids court is the only option.

Having your own child steal from you! Eesh that must be pretty rough, but its said after the rough times only good can happen OP!!