By JabberWocky54210 - 21/06/2013 04:09 - New Zealand - Auckland

Today, I returned home from a two-year trip overseas. My mom's first words as she greeted me at the arrivals terminal of the airport were, "Your father and I are getting a divorce." FML
I agree, your life sucks 52 697
You deserved it 2 920

JabberWocky54210 tells us more.

Hey guys, OP here. She immediately apologized after, but the damage was done. Like a couple of you said, Mom didn't want me to be upset during the last couple of months of my trip. I'm 18 and was on an exchange program, so I wasn't there for most of the development up to this statement. It's difficult, but I could see very quickly that my parents weren't happy. Things are better now, with Mom here in New Zealand and my dad in the States. Sorry to all of you who have been through this as well.

Top comments

Pwn17 25

Man that sucks. Way too blunt. Sorry OP.

Damn, my parents did that to me after I delivered my first child. It's one of those huge moment spoilers. I'm sorry they greeted you like that. Welcome home!

Comments

While it was good she was honest with you, she was too blunt saying it to you that way.

LookAttMyyLifee 12

Wow , aint that an awesome greeting. Insensitive much ? I mean yeah she waited till after you back , but she could have like waited till yall got to talk first instead of just blurting it out there..

sluttyMouth 3

Well looks like she couldn't wait to tell you...

Was the welcome back kotter theme playing at the airport? If it was that'd lighten things up a bit.

Your mom is a bitch she could have at least waited till you got home to drop this bombshell

At least the mom did not tell her during the trip. Sometimes these things just slip out. Op, and everyone else, should be more sensitive towards the mother. Yes, she could have waited, but maybe she is hurt and needed to have a sympathetic ear for one moment. A failed or ended marriage can be painful.

MzZombicidal 36

She's a bitch because she held onto painful news until OP's trip was over? How rude of you. She could have been very nervous. A divorce in itself isn't something you rehearse for, let alone the conversation with your children. Give her a break. As for you, OP. I'm sorry for the separation of your parents. I hope you all can cope well. :)

Oh wow what a greeting she couldn't if waited just a bit longer to break it to you or at least wait until you guys got into the car so you weren't surrounded by a bunch of strangers.

Was is over a troll face envelope and a spare set of car keys?

No. No, it wasn't. It happened at the airport.

That's a welcoming comment...Jesus at least mention it after a while of being back...

superman21_fml 19

Is it really a "trip" if you've been gone for 2 years? FYL though, that sucks.