By Anonymous - 03/12/2014 18:34 - United States - Hartford

Today, I realized that although I'm dating the most loveable, caring and genuine man, the fact that he's a crack addict means I'll never be his drug of choice when he needs a hit. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 934
You deserved it 21 565

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Surely the fact he takes crack is concern enough?

OP, shouldn't you be more worried that he's a crack addict?

Comments

Wouldn't you be more concerned you're dating a crack addict...

It takes quite a bit to compensate for being a crack addict. I don't think that does it.

OP I'm worried that you're not realizing the dangers of dating a addict.

Such deserve. Don't be with crack addict. Seems simple enough.

It really isn't that simple a lot of the time. People get addicted or relapse after you've fallen in love with them, or they are already struggling with it when you meet them. It is not that simple. For some people leaving is best but not always for everyone. They don't deserve it.

pbjforever 7
fleeper 13

Reading this broke my heart. I'm sorry, OP. :(

So him being a crack addict doesn't concern you?

I don't blame you for falling in love with a crack addict. People with addictions are more victims than bad people, which sadly many don't understand. They shouldn't be tossed away simply because they are in such a vulnerable state. I had a very close friend who was addicted to heroine and the overdosed. But, I suggest you get him help instead of worrying about how he loves crack more. He's addicted, the drug rules his life. Please be more considerate. And if he is already recovering, than I wish you two the very best of luck. Health comes first.

#20 thank god someone's got some good perspectives

Thank you! Someone understands that its not easy to leave someone that you love just because they have an addiction. They need your love, help, and support to overcome this. As a recovering addict, I know how hard it was and still is. If my fiancee left me, I probably would have relapsed. Its easy to sit behind a keyboard and judge, especially when half of you don't know what it's like. Good luck OP, he loves you, he's just in a hard place. Suboxone is a magical drug to help addicts, look into it.

Exactly! I find it very sad when people look at drug addicts as someone who isn't worth time and investment. People don't understand that once you become addicted, the rest isn't truly a choice when it becomes psychological and physical addiction. I agree with you in that people tend to judge without consideration, especially behind a keyboard these days. Addictions pushes people to the darkest places of themselves and the world. My friend, as I've mentioned, overdosed but it was his choice. It's such a ripple affect. I curtsy and applaud to you, my love, for overcoming your addiction. Always stay strong and good luck in all to you and your partner!

Thank you, sir. But I do agree with you in that many people seem to be much less educated on the matter of drug addiction, as far as I have seen. You seem to be understanding, as well, so I curtsy to you!

I think the biggest thing though is that he has to be trying to get help for his drug issue. As I said before it's one thing to be with someone and help them as they try and get help and overcome this addiction, but it's a completely different story to be with someone who is an addict and doesn't want help or plan to stop. That is when things get more dangerous in my opinion.

It is a hard struggle when a loved one has an addiction - for all of you. So make sure you get enough support for yourself. There is Nar-Anon and Families Anonymous and I am sure there are other support groups for family members and loved ones. Do get support for yourself OP and take care.