By Anonymous - 21/03/2012 12:21 - United States

Today, I quit smoking. My son came home with an ashtray he made in arts and crafts class. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 788
You deserved it 7 614

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This means that it will forever look just like the day he brought it home. Never tarnished with ashes. In a few months he will be bragging to his friends about it.

To which I hope you said, "Thank you very much, it's lovely." And then used it for a candy dish. Don't break the little buggers heart because you finally gave up a bad habit.

Comments

Does "Today" mean "30 years ago"? No schools in the country have kids create ashtrays any longer.

MissHayleyJames 7

And you personally have gone to every school in the country? Schools don't make kids make specific things 24/7. Kids get to decide what they make sometimes too. The kid probably wanted to do something nice for his mom so he chose to make her an ashtray.

Use it for something else - like put a small flower on it or serve nuts or cookies on it. It's not like an ashtray can't be used for anything else.

xStaciexLynnx 15

Cookies? How large is this ash tray?

1crabbygirl 10

Not all arts and crafts are food safe. Put jewelry or other things he gave you in it and tell him how perfect it is for lotsa things. So sweet.

Try to keep it clean from ash as long as possible :) It'll probably make you feel better rather than being a temptation :)

Jewnut 0

Its terrible that your child made an ashtray. If you care about them I suggest you stop being such a bad influence and learn some good.habits your self

VasilisaUzhasnaj 29

Did you not read the FML? The parent already quit, something that is in no way easy to do. I'd say they're on the right track. Don't judge people for something they already changed.

Why would that be terrible? I gave my dad an ashtray for christmas once. That doesn't mean he has had an bad influence on me - I don't smoke. That doesn't hinder me from giving my parent something they can use. Think a little more before spitting out such accusations.

Wonderful example you set didn't you...

a_lenzmeier 11

For all you anti-smoking nazis: Get over yourselves. Kudos to you for not smoking. Yes it's disgusting, it ruins your health, it's expensive etc. etc. We could play semantics all day if you want to. It's a persons personal decision, and not your right to judge them. I'm sure every single person has one disgusting habit/characteristic/hobby. Should everyone sit in judgement on others just because they find it revolting? Geeez, I hate the world we live in.

MissHayleyJames 7

The difference is smoking is a disgusting habit that affects everyone around you. If you want to screw up your own body that's one thing. To subject others to that or to say "sorry kids, I care more about cigarettes than living for you" is the problem. Not to mention, kids who grow up in a smoking household are more likely to start the habit themselves. Not all kids will but you're sure trying to set them up for failure.

If the smoker goes outside and does not smoke in their house there is no harm done. I am a smoker and yes I am trying to quit. I am down from a pack a day to three packs a week. But the point is smoking out doors causes no harm to others. My kids hate smoking even though I smoke and they are of the age most people start. Kids are more educated about the dangers today than they were in my day. When I was a child their was no anti smoking education.

MissHayleyJames 7

It's great that you're trying to quit (good luck and keep it up!), but just because you don't smoke physically in the presence of another person, doesn't mean you're not harming anyone. The fact of the matter is, smokers live shorter lives. By intentionally shortening your life like that, you are harming your family. You're stealing time away from them and when they have to attend your funeral a decade or more earlier than they would otherwise, that does severe damage to them.

courtneyann211 10

70- haven't you done research on second hand and third hand smoke? Second hand is worse than smoking itself and third hand is on your clothing, whatever your clothing touches and doesn't go away. In turn, it does cause harm! Yes, I do know what I'm talking about. I quit smoking December 20th

Thank you for your support. My family is the reason I am trying. I do not want them to have to bury me.

ValkyrieCain 0

And the world hates you too =]

ValkyrieCain 0

And the world hates you too =]

MissHayleyJames 7

122 I wish my college would do that. I HATE walking behind someone on my way from one class to another and having to breathe in all their second hand smoke!

Omg! You can't say anti smoking Nazis. If you don't know what happend during the second world war then shut up and don't use that word! No one in the world should be called that! Learn your history and shut up!

ddeathbombb 5

Good job for stop smoking and just tell your son you quit