By Anonymous - 26/04/2013 09:17

Today, I proposed to my girlfriend in public. She happily said yes, and the surrounding crowd cheered for us. About 10 minutes later, after the excitement died down, she leaned over and quietly said, "Actually, I don't want to marry you. I only said yes so I wouldn't disappoint the crowd." FML
I agree, your life sucks 80 466
You deserved it 12 170

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I feel for you OP, but at least she had the courtesy to not humiliate you in front of dozens of people.

Wizardo 33

Seems like she's busy pleasing everyone else but you, that's brutal man.

Comments

RpiesSPIES 27

You would've felt worse had she turned you down the first time, but still FYL.

That should be half expected when you make a public proposal. But I'm sorry to hear that.

PeaceIsFree 9

Could have been worse. She could have said no and caused drama

Frankly that's what you get for doing it in public. You probably thought it was really romantic and memorable, but in reality that should be a private moment. Putting the other person in a situation like that where they'd feel uncomfortable saying no because other people are around is completely unfair. YDI

Thank you! I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who thought this, with everyone calling the girlfriend insensitive. You should never propose in public unless 1) you've discussed marriage and are positive the answer will be yes, and 2) you know they will appreciate a big, public gesture rather than being embarrassed or put on the spot by it. OP should really have known better.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

In her defense, would you have rather had her say no to you in front of everyone?? She's being honest..better than her saying yes and then dumping you at the alter because she isn't ready.

jem970 19

So she was being nice by lying and then turning around and taking it back? Thats bullshit. You dont lie to save face in front of a crowd!

It's not just about "saving face", it's about not wanting complete strangers to insult you and harass you because you made a choice that in no way affect them. Remember the FML when they threw food at the girl who said no? If anything, it's not nice to force a girl to make a life-changing decision in a split second.

If she had said "I only said yes because I didn't want to embarrass you in front of the crowd" I'd be more sympathetic. But, she either chose to be insensitive at that time or it came out naturally.

BadLuckDude12345 14

I'm so sorry. That must have hurt.

She was in a bad position too A public proposal is a lot of pressure. Truly sorry she didn't feel the same - at least so far.