By Emmereen - 23/08/2016 02:21 - United States - Auburn

Today, I overheard two classmates wondering who Joan of Arc was. They agreed among themselves that she had to be the wife of Noah. We're in college. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 732
You deserved it 1 108

Emmereen tells us more.

It didn't sound like they were, but I suppose I can give them the benefit of the doubt.

Top comments

I think you only have one option, Start a hundred year war to end their stupidity.

I'm not sure if this is a failure in education or humanity itself

Comments

AlittleSanity 11

That's ok Bill and Ted had this same confusion but thanks to Rufus they are now the Wyld Stallions! And need I say more

Can somebody tell me who Joan of the Arc is? I'm sorry, I know people will dislike, I'm just ignorant to that.

Geckosrock99 33

If you're on FML, you have Internet. Google is your friend.

She was a french peasant girl who was told by the angels to help Charles VII to reclaim France during the hundred years war. She won alot of battles till she got betrayed by the Duke of Burgundy. The English burned her at the stake, and a bunch of years later she was canonized and made a saint.

Actually, it wasn't the English who killed her. The English sold her to the Burgundians, and they killed her with permission from the Catholic Church. I wrote my thesis on her.

That's really cool. I wrote a paper on her, but it's been a few years so I'm not surprised I got some things backwards.

If you aren't Catholic you might not know. Not only that, the hundred year war isn't a topic that is covered in curriculums in all states

'If you aren't Catholic'? She was a legendary French hero and leader, who was burned at the stake (allegedly for witchcraft). Catholicism barely factors into it...

Don't worry op. The weak ones always fail out.

My school has the st joan of arc chapel OP!

Unlucky1232 20

well she's rolling in her gr-... oh wait.... u win this time

Even though she's not someone people talk about all the time, she is referenced quite a lot. There's also at least one children's book about her since I read it in 3rd or 4th grade. I don't think the problem is necessarily that they haven't heard of her, but that they made such a huge assumption that requires no knowledge of her or the bible, which if they know about Noah they'd know at least a little about. And they're in college, they'd know how to use the Internet. And at least one of them would probably have a smartphone to look this up.

This is a very old joke. It has been referenced by movies and comedians. I'm sure they were kidding more than anything.

It didn't sound like they were, but I suppose I can give them the benefit of the doubt.

It was from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

What's the difference between Noah's Ark and Joan of Arc? -One's made of wood, the other's maid of Orleans

Please tell me this wasn't University of Washington. I'm going there in a month and I don't want to think my college holds those kind of people

Unfortunately, it was. I met far more awesome people, though. Good luck with your college experience.