By Anonymous - 20/04/2013 23:08 - United States - Denver

Today, I overheard the guy I like talking to one of his friends about me. His friend asked if he and I were dating, to which he replied, "No way, dude. I have standards." FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 768
You deserved it 4 875

Same thing different taste

Top comments

kglambert24 8

some people are just shallow.

saves you time otherwise wasted pursuing an asshole. take the good from it!

Comments

Sorry to hear OP. Guys like him make us look bad.

Well he sounds like a jerk! You can do better than that, OP.

I hope you've got some standards too, OP. That way you can forget about him and find a decent guy instead.

I'd say both sexes are equally ugly in their own unique ways .

SystemofaBlink41 27

*Humans can be such assholes

You should take look at your standards again and do whatever makes you happy...most likely breaking up with the jerk, you don't deserve that!

thehonestone10 5

(The honest one, is commenting:) I'm not sure why a bunch of people are calling the guy a jerk. What he said was to A FRIEND- he wasn't expecting somebody to eavesdrop. If the situation was reversed, and a guy liked a girl too good for him, and the girl was telling her friend in private that she didn't like the guy, and they noticed the guy listening in, the girls would say "hes creeping on our convo" or "he's a creep". And quite honestly, how could he have phrased it nicer? By saying "No man I don't like her"? The friends next question is gonna be "why?" So at some point he's gonna have to say "she's just not good enough for me bro"- which quite honestly isn't mean, its just the truth in a lot of cases. Women have NO PROBLEM saying if a guy isn't good enough for them. To women, it seems, there is obviously a line when a guy isn't "good enough" for them, but to women that line apparently doesn't exist when a girl looks at a guy. She can want a guy like Channing Tatum or Liam Hemsworth, and she can be undesirable as all hell, but if the guy doesn't want her back suddenly he's an "a**hole". I'm sorry, I just don't buy that. It's not fair to the rest of us normal guys, for one, and for two its not fair to the guy in question, and for three it's greedy and a double standard. Cuz that same girl that expects the way hotter guy to like her, if a guy less hot than her or even on her level asked her out, chances are she's gonna be a complete b*tch to him and tell him no, with an attitude like "why are you even asking me that, peasant?". The bottom line is, women in America have this huuuge problem of always going after the guy way too good for them. They always go after a guy two steps up from them, who can easily get better girls than them, and usually the girls don't even like the guy for legit shared interests, usually the women have a shallow reason for liking the guy. I knew a girl I had everything in the world in common with her- but guess what- she wanted a guy who was 6'3, hot, and quite honestly neither me nor her were "hot" we were average. The guy f*cked her, then didn't talk to her after that. And in her mind, HE was the bad guy. Uhm, no he wasn't. He lucked into a great body and face, but I'm not gonna be a jealous guy and say he's a jerk or something cuz of it. She should have known better, she should have known she was being greedy, and she should have learned a lesson from it. But instead of learning the real lesson- be realistic, like guys on your level, like them bcuz of shared interest not how hot they are- instead, she got the false message that "guys are jerks" because she was too self absorbed apparently to admit she could be wrong.

It depends how he said it. If he meant, "I have standards because she treats people badly" then that is fine. But if he meant "I am too good looking for her" then the words aren't very nice. I understand the feeling - both ways - but to say it like that is inconsiderate and ignoring all the good qualities people have. I have been guilty of saying some mean things about nice guys when people won't take "I am not attracted to them" as an answer and say "well you should learn to be" and I am ashamed of that. Sometimes you just aren't attracted to someone and that is fine.

Speaking as a guy who knows exactly what you're talking about (I lost count of how many girls didn't think I was good enough for them when in reality I would have likely been more loving and loyal than any of the other jackasses they liked), this guy was still being a jerk. You're right that women are really good at somehow making the guy's fault, but the fact is from either side this is wrong. Both a guy or girl who think they're out of someone's league are assholes in my book. If you're truly a better person than the other party, you wouldn't be so full of yourself to think of it in that sense. Yes girls do this crap to guys all the time, but it's wrong then too. This is just like people trying to defend women cheating on guys because supposedly it's considered normal when the guy does it. I DON'T GIVE A PIECE OF ROTTING SHAT WHICH GENDER YOU ARE!!! It is wrong either way and that's all there is too it. Same goes for this type of attitude thinking someone doesn't meet your standards. It's a douche bag attitude. Even if this guy is some stud that may seem out of the girl's league, he's clearly a jerk.

Your comment would have had way more merit had you not generalised all women or even American women.

perdix 29

#24, I think it goes both ways. People want to be with the most desirable mate they can find, regardless of their own qualities. I think one difference between the genders is that guys know that when they make a play for a beautiful woman, rejection is a possibility and has to be handled with dignity. The sad thing is that physical appearance seems to be the common currency of setting value. If you are lucky, you can begin to place more value on potential mate's intelligence, kindness, sense of humor, values, interests, etc. and suddenly you are trading on a whole new market other than the Meat Market.

Wizardo 33

Oh look, another short comment passing through...

thehonestone10 5

The above girl just contradicted herself. She said "sometimes you just aren't attracted to someone and that is fine" and then above that, she said in reference to men, "if he meant "I am too good looking for her" then the words aren't very nice". So which is it? Are women allowed to be shallow and reject men, but men are somehow jerks if they do the same? I don't think your answer was very fair, interesting33. See my answer above yours, for elaboration.

If you are happy with yourself, then whatever..**** what he thinks. If not, do something about it so you are living life to the fullest! Unfortunately the world is very shallow and treatment from others changes dramatically when your appearance does.

I would want to say "Well my standards are men who aren't shallow assholes."

I sort of prefer my asshole shallow, tyvm.