By Anonymous - 14/09/2009 15:03 - United States

Today, I overheard mom talking about how my youngest sister was the only one who used the money from the insurance settlement from my dad's death responsibly. I was in my first semester of college when she cashed in mine for a vacation. I had to drop out. FML
I agree, your life sucks 53 659
You deserved it 2 501

MomsFavorite tells us more.

MomsFavorite 0

Sorry, the limits on number of characters made my description a bit light on details. Dad was killed in a car accident and the insurance co of the driver of the vehicle who hit him paid out a settlement. The amount is really none of your business, but the principal plus returns between settlement and when I started to draw it was enough to cover tuition only for 4+ years. Money was placed in trust for each of us- all of us with mom as custodian, as we were minors. At that time, unless the minor changes/removes the custodian when they turn the age of majority, the custodian remains indefinetly. Mom cashes in fund and when I come home for christmas break to get the portion of the money for second semester tuition, says she used the money on a vacation for herself and my loser stepdad. Later I found out she invested it, made a killing and kept it all. She didn't want to put HER money on the line- in case the investment didn't work out. I even got to pay taxes on the capital gains!! I continued attending college until my SAVINGS was gone and LOANS I qualified for didn't cover expenses (mom was loaded from her part of the settlement and life insurance so I didn't qualify for much) I dropped out. DECADES later, I overhear her telling someone in our family that my youngest sister is the only one who used the money wisely from the settlement. Apparently, she has been telling everyone that I pissed my part of it away. Hope that clarifies. I guess having a college education would have given me the skills to change the second "she" to "mom".

Top comments

THATS TERRIBLE!!!!! UR SISTER IS INCREDIBLY SELFISH! TALK 2 HER!!!!!

mandark 9

That seriously sucks. I hope you called her out on it.

Comments

Was it your mother or your sister that spent your money? Little confused about this?

happyvalleygirl 0

Get some loans and pay for college yourself like the rest of us.

Actually a lot of students get some sort of help from their parents, and then of course there's scholarships. There's a few percentage of people who pay for college entirely on their own without any help at all.€€

Boo hoo... You relied on money that wasn't yet yours to pay your bills. YDI.

The money was hers it was left to her by her dad when he died. Who cares that it came from an insurance payout. That's why people buy life insurance to make sure their loved ones have some financial support in the event of their untimely demise. I take it you'll donate your entire inheritance to charity when the time comes because it isn't yours?

I'm not stupid enough to rely on money I don't have to pay for ANYTHING in my life. I take it you have a credit score of 200 and live paycheck to paycheck (or in your mothers basement). If it was hers, could she go to the bank and withdraw it? No, she couldn't that money is still figmental.

myhairynutsack 0

It's your fault, she couldn't legally touch what wasn't hers. YDI for being an idiot. Suck it up, who cares what people think anyway???

bobby222 0

YDI for cheating on your wife.

ozymandias_fml 0

Obviously you were not responsible with the money if you left it were a hag like that had access to it.

Two questions: 1. How did your mom manage to take YOUR money and use it for a vacation? 2. How big was your cut? The costs of a 4-year college can easily top $100,000 these days, so if you were relying solely on your payout to get through college either you're bad at math or that was one hell of a vacation.

#12 already said that... you get detention for being tardy and for copying others work.