By CrazyInLove - 10/03/2015 06:02 - United States - Castle Rock

Today, I overcame my lack of social confidence and got a date for the first time in 10 or so years. After a while, my date admitted that she's a schizophrenic with dissociative identity disorder. I guess it's back to being single. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 369
You deserved it 7 348

Same thing different taste

Top comments

From someone who has extreme panic attack disorder, OCD and crippling depression, this intensifies my worry that I'll be alone forever. I feel sorry for her, to be honest. That was probably really hard for her to do.

Because obviously we should immediately discount the possibility of dating anyone with a mental illness, right? Or should she have just lied to you about it for a while first? It was probably incredibly difficult for her to be upfront about having such a stigmatized medical condition. If you choose not to get involved thats your prerogative, but I hope you handled it tactfully at least. If you think it's hard for you to get a date, imagine how she must feel.

Comments

That's a little rude. Mental illness is hard enough to deal with without people like you.

Mental illness is hard to deal with, but also for the people around the mentally ill. People reject potential romantic partners for all kinds of reasons: being unattractive, overweight, poor, too old, too young, too obsessed with sports or Star Wars, etc... Mental illness seems like as good a reason as any to me. If OP doesn't want to deal with a mentally ill partner, or feels that he can't handle it (it sounds like he has enough of his own problems), then there's no reason to pursue a relationship. Better for both of them to cut their losses now rather than form a attachments and endure heartbreak later.

Took care of the social problem. Like having a few dates for one. That's a threesome in the making.

Wow. Millions of people have mental ilness. You just judged her for... what exactly? Something that could very well be completely under control and she might have no issues. This is the same as going "She has asthma, check her off the list!"

bananassin 25

being single is good these days. At least... I guesss

Maybe you should walk a mile in her stilettos first, my friend. She took an equally huge chance if not more so, than what you are doing, and she disclosed to you early her issues. Kudos to her! Shame on you however! You may not want to date her, but to flat out reject her on her most vulnerable issue is beyond cold, it's cruel. If that happened to you, it would have pushed you off the dating site and back into the isolation of your own home and mind. Don't do to her, what you fear experiencing yourself. People's actions have consequences.

I dated someone without schizophrenia or DID. Well, dated is an overstatement: she threatened to kill herself if I didn't move to a different state for her, even though we weren't together. And yet, no known mental issues. Perhaps you should have given this honest girl a chance instead of jumping to conclusions.

Way to be über hypocritical. How can you judge and reject someone with a mental disorder when you yourself admit to having on? I guess anyone who suffers from any form of depression is undateable. I thought as a society we were getting better with this....

juturnaamo 29

Because a person with mental health issues might be well aware he isn't equipped to deal with someone else's, especially when he hasn't gotten a handle on his own yet.

JustStella 28

OP, that's a little harsh. I had an ex who has schizophrenia and I was crazy about him (pun intended). The only reason we broke up was because we couldn't do the whole long distance thing. She's probably getting help; you might not want to deal with that after being out of game for so long but please know that someone with mental issues is worth being loved as well.