By Anonymous - 31/08/2011 17:06 - Canada

Today, I noticed a young child wandering out onto a busy street. I managed to grab his arm just as he stepped off the sidewalk and yank him away from almost certain death. My reward was his mother, who was on her cell phone the whole time, screaming at me for touching her child. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 203
You deserved it 2 528

Same thing different taste

Top comments

LolliDolly 19

What have the world come to.. Such an idiot mother, she should be bloody grateful you saved her child!! Sorry op, you did not deserve that..

Comments

No good deed goes unpunished. Recently I asked a little girl who was walking around the store by herself if she was lost, only to have some woman come out of nowhere and give me a dirty look like I was trying to abduct her kid. It's a shame parents are so neglectful and inconsiderate these days, especially since these children are learning those traits and will be our future leaders.

The mom might not have been grateful, but I'm glad we still have people like you out there who care when they see a kid who might need help.

Slightly deviating from the point of your post, but people give their kids a bit too much freedom now. In a clothes shop last weekend there were lots of kids just running around far from where their parents were, knocking into things and pulling on and damaging clothes. It's ridiculous.

Some parents seem to think their kids should be exempt from proper public decorum. If my kids misbehave in public, I take them HOME. I'd be ashamed if my kids were running around & knocking down clothes!

subbullet 7

Same thing happened to me: A little girl looked lost in a store, so I asked her if she was lost. Her mom ran over too me and started yelling at me. I waited for about 5 seconds before I calmly pulled out my Police Badge. She shut up right away and dragged her kid out of the store.

#83: WOW. The least she could have done was apologize to you; after all, you were doing your job!

and if you tell them off they just don't listen. I almost hit a kid who dashed out into the street so I stopped, got out and asked where his mom was. she was 50feet down the block on her cell phone so I walked the kid to her and told her to get off her phone and pay attention to her kid who is too young to know and take into account the dangers of cars. although since in 16 all she said was "what do you know about parenting" my answer "please just try and watch your kid, else something bad is probably going to happen." I got slapped.

Epsilonyx 15

I would've smiled and said "You're welcome." and walked away.

EDIT:meant for 14 Well it's in human nature to protect your child and any danger really can worry people. I do not blame her for it, she probably did no know the situation and if I saw a person grab my child without knowing why I'd probably do the same thing.

of course she didn't know the situation! she was oblivious to her surroundings and what her child was doing - 'cause she was on her phone the entire time. it should've been obvious to her seeing him grab her child from the road. it's not like he was enticing the kid with candy

sxe_beast 11

@18 - LOL, what? Maybe she would have known the situation if she did less talking on the cell phone and more being a parent. If you're in a busy area with your YOUNG child your focus needs to be completely 100% on that child. This mother completely fails at parenting. I grew up in a metropolitan area and when anywhere my mother always was holding my hand or she had me on a harness. I mean what if this guy wasn't there to save her son? Then there would be a new story with a sobbing mother about her child getting smooshed.

@13; I think that reply without context would further her idea that you're a creep.

-53 I don't know the whole entire story but it seems to me she probably just wasn't looking at the child, the car would pass by in about 5 seconds, leaving her little time to see the incident.

#28: you are exactly right. The child should be her focus, not the cell phone. Same principle with the cell & driving: you should minimize your distractions. I think some people forget that you do not have to answer the phone each & every time it rings; that's why you have voice mail!

#53: you just summed that up perfectly. There can be no justifying the mom's behavior here.

fthku 13

#64, that's the whole ******* point, she wasn't looking at the child. Sweet bearded Jesus, you're even saying it yourself, and yet you somehow think the mother was OK?

#64: that was the problem. that she wasn't looking and that 5 seconds could have killed her kid. Yes, it is impossible to keep an eye on your kids constantly, but if you are busy with something (especially near a busy road) you keep them beside you.

All adults who come near someone else's child is automatically a predator. 8| Thank you, fear-mongering media.

You just want to bitch slap some people.

Some people effing NEED bitch slapping!!'

When I was growing up (late 90s early 2000s) we would play in the cul-de-sac, go over to neighbor's houses. As long as our parents knew where we were we were fine (granted I was usually over at my best friend's house). Now it's "every person you meet wants to hurt your child" and mass paranoia.

Damn, that's some bad parenting right there! Piss off at someone who just saved your child's life..

Apparently not worried enough if they're on their phones instead of watching their kids

life2007 0

I wouldve cooter kicked her and then called her a worthless mother and then call dhs to take the kid.

wait, what? You would have called the department of homeland security? Dont you mean child protection services? Wait what country are you from.

RainbowHeadache 2

Is it not called DHS in other states....? I also live in Oklahoma and we call it the Dept. Of Human Services. I thought that was nation wide. Or was that a joke?

Yeah, its called DHS in Oklahoma. My county's DHS is full of lazy pansies that keep kids in dangerous situations, but I digress...

DCF (dept of children and family services) in Florida.

that's some great parenting skills she's got there. ear glued to the phone and not watching her kid, near a busy street no less! should've been grateful instead of ripping you a new one @14 "All adults who come near someone else's child is automatically a predator. 8|"

Elfwah_21 3

really cant stand dumbass ppl!!!

nc21690 19

Ugh stupid moms with cell phones not paying attention to their kids any normal mother would be grateful to anyone who helped her child to safety I know I would