By Chuffberry - 16/02/2013 08:47 - United States - Fort Collins

Today, I moved in with my new dorm mate. I'm prone to very frequent panic attacks that can only be alleviated by cold air. My roommate is severely anemic, and has violent shivering fits when the temperature is below 80. No matter what, one of us is always shaking uncontrollably. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 576
You deserved it 4 181

Chuffberry tells us more.

OP here. on the preference sheet for the dorm rooms, i put that i have anxiety attacks, and my roommate put that they have anemia, but they don't sort you on your illnesses, they sort you on personality. Other than the temperature thing, we get along great.

Top comments

Cab you get a portable fan or air conditioner for your room?

nadnerbz 6

So your roommate has violent fits when the temperature is below 80, and yet he/she goes to school in Colorado? Makes sense

Comments

You both should start wearing bells. At least you guys can get some amusement out of it. It'll be like Christmas year round! Hey! Maybe that will help with your panic attacks. You can't panic when there's bells tinkling, can you?

TheCutestLizard 28

Xanax and iron supplements. Done.

Except if it were that easy to fix, I'm sure OP and his roommate would already be medicated and this wouldn't be a problem.

There are different kinds of anemia. Iron-deficiency is only one kind.

tiwalolaori 2

Yea anemia isn't that easy of a fix otherwise no one would have if by now The roommate probaley has sickle cell anemia it's much more more dangrous for them panic attacks are lowkey ridiculous dorm life isn't right for everyone

RedPillSucks 31
eaglerob 20

Perfect reason to never be in your dorm. It's the season of keg stands, beer pong, and wang chung!

Oh no, sounds like such a nightmare situation :S There's medication or calming techniques you can use for your panic attacks, or there's medication, supplements etc. for your room mate's anaemia! Or just get a new dorm mate ;D

Because the anemia and the panic attack came about AFTER you two filled out your roommate preferences.

crazytwinsmom 25

Can you put something like that on your prefs? Maybe there should be a 'preferred room temperature range' question on that.

I'm sure there is a comment section. If not, put it down as allergies. If not either, shoot them an email *before* you get into this mess because you know that it's a problem. It's a magical concept called foresight.

SarahBearah1995 11

When I applied to college there was a "preferred temperature" section. But I'm in Texas. So maybe it's different.

OP here. on the preference sheet for the dorm rooms, i put that i have anxiety attacks, and my roommate put that they have anemia, but they don't sort you on your illnesses, they sort you on personality. Other than the temperature thing, we get along great.

That's a sucky situation that they put you in, OP. But as another person said, your roommate could get a heating blanket and you lower the temperature and you should both be very happy. On another note. When I first read it I thought 80 degrees was in celsius, meaning it's literally a sauna in heat (unless it's the world championships :) ). Made me a bit weirded out.

Can you take medication or get a portable fan or something? Maybe you need to switch rooms.

I'm really sorry about your problem OP, but the mental image of two people shaking in turns is kind of hilarious! You two would make a great sitcom!