By lakb - 13/12/2010 15:27

Today, I missed work because I was at the hospital getting treated for accidentally inhaling chlorine gas. I didn't realize that using Comet Industrial Strength Cleanser to scrub out a cat litter pan could be so hazardous. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 546
You deserved it 25 962

Same thing different taste

Top comments

the cleaner had bleach and the cat urine that was in the litter box had ammonia......bleach + ammonia = chlorine gas = u in hospital

kenshinjapan 2

YDI for not reading the directions on the bottle. But FYL for being so stupid.

Comments

I use only dish soap on my cats litter pans. I don't want to leave any harmful residue that could hurt/kill them on the pan.

You missed work, your catbox is clean. Cheer up. The only fml is that you own a cat :(

yummycupcakegirl 0

Awww Hey, your cat litter is all tho.

could you repeat that please, but this time say it in a language called sense :)

Using any sort of cleaner (especially industrial strength) can be dangerous! Be more careful next time, OP! :(

I'm sure the CIA or MI6 will be knocking at your door soon. You've inadvertently discovered the next generation of biological warfare. I bet the army will start dropping litter boxes and Comet over Afghanistan soon.

MEM0817 18

Absolute genius, right?! If that ever happened, OP could call him/herself an entrepreneur.. haha.

nubbles10 13

Actually, during WWII, this has was inadvertently created by a German scientist, who was trying to find a way to create nitrates to use for fertilization. It's more dense than air so it sinks, making it especially deadly because of the popularity of trench warfare at the time. The gas is a pretty awful way to die that I won't go into. It was later improved into a MORE deadly and horrible way to fight the war by the Nazis, and since has been banned from use by I believe the Warsaw Pact In related news I have a sort of natural resistance to the stuff because the animal shelter I work at uses bleach to clean the kennels, and while we wear gas masks mine broke one day, and I got VERY sick, with a bad cough, watering eyes, and nausea for nearly a week afterwords I never used a gas mask again, and eventually it almost completely stopped bothering me, aside from a small cough when I'm exposed to it.

finalyearsofhate 22

idiot. ydi for using harmful cleaning products around pets.

I doubt the cat was actually in the litter tray at the time, or even hanging over OP's shoulder to watch him/her clean.

there's a reason why both a) chlorine gas was used in ww1 to kill soldiers on both sides and b) why it was later outlawed in the Geneva Convention.

gertrude7 9

Bleach in the cleaner? Because when bleach and ammonia (in urine) combine, it makes chlorine gas, which is deadly.

skyeyez9 24

imo, if the litter box was that nasty to require industrial strength abrasives, it's time to buy a new litter box.

comet is made with bleach... cat pee is strong in nitrates.... you basically mixed bleach and ammonia - not bright