By Anonymous - 04/05/2014 18:57 - United States

Today, I met up with my group for class. We were doing some final checks on the project we've been working on all semester, when I realized something about one guy's work seemed off. I googled it and found out it's almost completely plagiarized. It's all due in the morning. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 201
You deserved it 4 055

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's the horrible thing about group work, call the guy out and demand he do his work! Next time you can request not to have the same group with him... FYL!

Pancakes017 19

Probably should've made sure he was doing a decent job just a tiny bit sooner, OP.

Comments

I'm sure if you talk to the teacher about it, you won't get in trouble, although I can't say the same for your friend. Never understood plagiarism, I mean since it's so easy to check nowadays. If you're too lazy to do it yourself, why not just BS it and accept the grade? Well I dunno, FYL OP.

DON'T TELL OP WHAT TO DO SO LOUDLY. IT BURNS MY EYES.

HE JUST SAID NOT TO TELL PEOPLE WHAT TO DO SO LOUDLY ^

I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE ARE YELLING ABOUT!! LOUD NOISES!!

that's the shitty park about working in groups.

Just a thought OP: since you are short on time...you might want to consider submitting it as is--and anticipate that the teacher may call you out on the part being plagiarized. It's possible that the degree of plagiarism is deemed within an acceptable limit by the teacher. If you do get called out, I am sure that the teacher has a plan in place for these kind of situations where one person plagiarizes his or her part--and the rest of the group did their part fairly. Surely not everyone will be penalized equally. It is likely that the person will get a failing grade and that the assignment is graded based on the other parts. In the future, you might want to proactively avoid being on this person's team for group projects. Good luck.

From how it sounds, this person's work was almost entirely plagarized. If the group was only a 4 person group, it would mean that 1/4 of the project was plagarized. No offense, but the advice you gave OP is terrible. If the OP and the rest of the group turns in the project knowing that a good portion of it is plagarized, they ALL risk a failing grade and could possibly face suspension, or failing the class completely if there's a zero tolerance policy. This happened to one of my friends in college, and they ALL got in trouble for it, even though only one person did it. The way the professor saw it, they all should've been checking each others work more thoroughly, and the fact that 3 plagarized pages managed to get past all of them means that they either knew and didn't care, or didn't actually work together as a group.

Good insight. I stand corrected. No offense taken at all!

skittyskatbrat 19

This can work *IF* the credit is given to the original source. IE, "We found out on May 3rd that ******** Dumbass plagiarized his entire section of the project. The credit should actually go to RealAuthor's Name. We have correctly cited this in the project, and indicated the plagiarized content. All other work was completed by Student One, Student Two, and Student Three and is original. Unfortunately, there was not sufficient time after the discovery of Dumbass's cheating to replace the entire section he was responsible for." Give credit where credit is due, cite the sources, and let the professor know what was up...and the rest of the team might be okay. Dumbass will fail miserably, though :)

Honesty is the best policy. A lot of teachers have websites they go to where they plug in a paragraph from the paper, and if it's plagiarized, the site will pull up the piece it was taken from. Come clean!

I have that website too! Don't you just love google? ;)

If it isn't too late then I'd recommend submitting two copies. One copy without the plagiarised material, and a second copy with the plagiarised material highlighted and labelled "plagiarism". Take them to your professor and explain. And bear in mind that the first words out of your professor's mouth will probably be something like, "Group work means working together, not splitting up the project and working independently". You're going to lose some points for not having worked together before the last minute, however that sure beats a big fat zero for submitting plagiarised work. Trust me on this, I'm a prof and just last week I had to give some students zeros and report them to the administration department for plagiarism.

Theres always that one person in the group that doesn't pull their weight or does a shitty job! It sucks that you have to fix their screw up. At least you have all information you need for their part though? Just paraphrase, cite and add some new information and you might be okay. Also let you prof know

You'll get burned bad for this unless you make a bibliography and have a small intro and make that a quote

This is when it's time to get off FML and handle your problems.

I read this site all the time but this is the first time I've ever felt compelled to reply, because the exact same thing happened to me in college. There were three of us in the group, assigned to write a 30-page paper. We split it up and I told the other two group members to send their sections to me and I'd put it all together. One of the group members only got it to me 48 hours before the paper was due. As I looked over it, I thought it sounded familiar--I realized he had not only plagiarized the whole thing, but he plagiarized a source I had used in my section. I told him he had 24 hours to fix it, and if he didn't, I'd report him to the professor. He fixed it, but it was pretty sloppy and our grade reflected that. But if I hadn't caught it, we'd have all failed and been in trouble for cheating. I agree with the other commenters--if you caught the plagiarism, the professor absolutely will. Either fix what you can or turn him in.