By mancuneanway - 06/03/2016 13:11 - United Kingdom - Bacup

Today, I made 2 beautifully decorated cakes for Mother's Day. One was for my mother in law and the other for my mum. I came down to pack my mum's and found they had both been half eaten. My brother in law decided he wanted to try a bit of both to decide which was better. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 841
You deserved it 1 478

mancuneanway tells us more.

Ok OP here. Thanks for turning this into a funny situation. My brother in law is the baby of my husbands family. By 'baby' I mean a 21 year old man who eats, eats, eats! I didn't feel the need to tell everyone not to touch it until they had been given it as I had written Happy Mothers Day (Mum… and Mum…) on them both. They were both red velvet cakes decorated the same way to avoid any jealousy amongst both women. I ended up just scooping the writing off and playing it off as a random cake I had made. My brother in law still doesn't see what he did wrong but I shall be breaking his hands if he touches my birthday cake this month lol.

Top comments

Dear 2&4, she is in the UK. It is Mother's Day there. The fact that she used "mum" should clue you in on the fact this was not written in the US.

Among the dumber stories that end up on this site, I'd say this one really takes the cake!

Comments

You could still give it to them! It's a funny story, I'm sure they'll have a laugh

Or they might provide the entertainment and beat up the brother-in-law once OP explains what happened. Either way it's a win for OP.

Give the cake to whichever woman is related to your brother-in-law with a note that says "Your idiot son / son-in-law ate half of it."

Peacheess 14

I actually thought I forgot mothers day for a second lol

blueotcxx 2

Me too. I went straight to google and searched up 'Mothers day 2016'. I almost had a heart attack, seizure, and brain hemorrhage all at once.

I would have slit his throat Okay sorry I'm really passionate about cake.

GrapeJuice67 17

I would've been so angry, OP. I mean really, who just wanders into a kitchen and decides, 'HEY CAKE IN A KITCHEN THAT ISN'T MINE. I THINK I'LL EAT IT.?'

TomeDr 24

Make him write an apology note for both moms.

Personally, I'd make him give each mother what's left of their cake along with a heartfelt apology in person. A note doesn't quite look as sincere.

mm12344 8

How is eating an entire cake "just a bit?"

I'm assuming this happen awhile back in which case I hope you explained to your mother and mother in law about how much of a dick your brother in law was

Why would you assume that? It's Mother's Day today.

truckers_wife 23

in the united states mothers day is in may. it threw me off at first too..

I'd take a picture of the cakes, give it to each woman with an explanation, and then guilt-shame-force your brother in law to either buy then each a cake or take each woman out for dessert.

Cut each of them into halves, and put the halves together, and you've got one complete cake. Not perfect, but better than mudslinging on a day that's supposed to be about your mom

No they would still have 2 half cakes.

Ahh I feel for you! I have a brother-in-law like that, too. I made some goodies for my mother-in-law when she was having some troubles with her health and he ate them all! I was so mad, he's in his twenties so he is not a child and he should certainly know better. I hope you chewed him out over it, that was so selfish of him to just assume he can help himself to whatever he wants like that. Is your brother-in-law the baby of the family? Both my youngest brother and my husband's youngest brother seem to just feel entitled to stuff that isn't for them, mostly other people's food.