By :/ - 30/01/2016 07:45 - United States - Gilbert

Today, I'm so broke, I walked into a nursing home and pretended to be a gentleman's son just so I could get some free food "for him". FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 005
You deserved it 6 518

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Did you at least give the elderly man some company while you were there? He probably forgets who his grandkids are anyway. ;) OP, in no way do you deserve this. Getting out of a hole when you can barely feed yourself is hard. But if I can do it you can too. Just don't give up working for what you deserve out of life!

don't worry OP, your time will come! Stay focused and positive and things will eventually go your way.

Comments

Isn't there a food pantry in your area? Ask around and try to find them. Many church's have food pantries. You don't usually have to be a member of the congregation to use them. My church's food pantry has been a total life saver for my husband and I these last few months. Also, if you have access to the internet try googling websites to make money from. Good luck.

Sorry to hear that OP. Keep your head up, everything will work itself out.

Look up food banks or food charities in your city. Or, hell, the next city if you have to. Or go to a church and ask if they know about any. Sometimes they keep food around for people in need. Maybe even look for a soup kitchen or something.

Wait, what? You realise he will probably miss out on his meal if they think he's already been fed? That's ******. I get that you're desperate...but stealing food from vulnerable elderly folk? Not cool.

The elderly man got fed regardless. Unless he went in at a set meal time then the tray would be brought to the room from someone on the dietary staff. Also, the workers probably knew that the man wasn't OP's father. My grandma was in a nursing home and the staff knew all the patients' relatives.

No, I really doubt he got fed regardless, hence my comment. And it's great that your grandma's at a good home but not everyone is fortunate. Many homes don't have a clue about whose relatives are who, particularly if there's a high staff turnaround or the person's relatives visit infrequently.

I disagree. He probably did still get fed. At the very least he would have said "I'm hungry, where's my tray" and they'd fix the problem. My grandma's spot was far from great, but the nurses know who they've seen and who they've heard talked about.

most American nursing homes give free meals to visiting relatives, to encourage more visits. Odds are the older gentleman did NOT go hungry. So a hungry person got a hot meal & hopefully the older man had some company for dinner & maybe a new "adopted" friend. we warehouse our elderly & disabled while ignoring our homeless & hungry.

bl3ur0z3 17

Except he didn't get a plate for himself, he got the resident's plate "for him." So odds are the nursing home believed the elderly man's son had brought him his food and he never got it. Btw, when my dad was in a nursing home, it was $3 until he entered hospice and we literally counted down his last 6 days. Then it was free to keep us there 24/7. $3 is cheap, but not free.

bl3ur0z3 17

Was there no food bank or soup kitchen to save you from having to steal from an elderly man?

danimal_crackerz 26

I sincerely hope this is from a public computer and not by a personal device if OP can't even feed him/her self.

Because poor people shouldn't have cell phones? Even at my most broke I make sure my phone bill gets paid because without it I couldn't work.

But he's super broke, his priorities should be food, not some device.

Wyrmflight 13

in our modern society it is absolutely necessary to have a computer or phone capable of accessing the internet, and not every city has a public library. Besides, it's possible they could have bought it before they were this poor.

If op had taken out a set term mobile or isp contract before any financial difficulties, they would still be liable for any remaining balance if they cancelled early.