By russianfail - 04/12/2013 16:24 - United States - Dallas

Today, I'm not getting paid 400$ per month because I failed my Russian language proficiency test. Russian is my first language. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 443
You deserved it 16 684

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I guarantee that their are a lot of native English speakers would fail an English proficiency test to. You're test was probably just a bit two hard. Just except that you need too study harder and due better next time. Good luck.

Native speakers tend to have more improper grammar and usages of slang than those that learned a language in an educational environment. Learning a language naturally tends to leave more room for twisting the rules of that language's grammar. Those who learn a language in an educational setting end up learning rules of that language at the same time as they learn the language itself. Natural learning of a language tends to get the language before full understanding of the rules of that language is learned and understood.

Comments

I guess I can understand not thinking about revising because you assumed you'd be fine because it's your first language and missing points on the complex things that you don't technically need to know to speak the language fluently...but even then, I'd hope you should get a lower than expected score, but not an actual fail. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a very difficult test and/or a high pass mark but maybe brush up on your knowledge before giving it another go!

perdix 29

Until you get your grades up, your parents should ban you from getting on the ... *Lowers sunglasses* Inter-nyet.

perdix 29

#47, the OP was smug, and with that failure, he got Putin his place! Better?

Is this obligatory to put "Today" at the beginning of every single FML? "Today, I'm not getting paid 400$ per month" sounds awful.

I_Am_Melanie 15

"Today" is automatically put at the front of every FML. It's a rule.

Yes, it's in the FML rules that all FMLs must begin with "Today."

Go back through the FML list. I challenge you to find one that doesn't start with "Today". Hint: There isn't one.

It's annoying that one, but the consistency is nice when compared to say, spin-off website MLIA.

Having lived in the US almost my entire life, and having used facebook for some time, based on what I've seen I bet there are a lot of people who speak English as a first language who would fail an English proficiency test miserably.

Yeah...but that's not really consolation. I'd rather the kind of language you're talking about was an exception rather than the rule...

That must have been one weird test for you to fail it...unless it was like an British English and American English kind of test and you got the wrong one...

If it's any consolation, a lot of people have English as their only language and still they ain't no good at talkin' at it.

As a Russian myself, I have to appreciate the length at which people will go to make a good pun in these comments.

Was this for the military? Proficiency tests for linguists aren't what you'd expect. I took one for Spanish while I was in, but they don't offer extra pay for Spanish.