By No pain no gain - 23/11/2017 05:44

Today, I'm in such pain due to my period cramps that I haven't been able to eat anything. My religious mother refuses to allow me to take birth control to help regulate the pain as it would "tempt" me to "become sexually active". FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 252
You deserved it 489

Caitlin Mcloughlin tells us more.

Hey guys, OP here! I have no idea how this login system works so I think I ended up creating a new profile. Anyway, for now I'm better, thank you so much for your support! As for a more permanent solution, fortunately I'm moving out next year to go to college, and so I'll be able to sort myself out with medication then. I'm honestly super surprised that my FML ended up published - thanks again for your sympathies!

Top comments

PhantomCrevan 8

If you can find one, and a way to get to it, you can sneak out to a Planned Parenthood clinic, and they might be able to give you hormone therapy- as in, birth control. Otherwise, you could possibly try phrasing your request for birth control as requesting hormone therapy. It might be enough to trick her if you can get the doctor and nurse on board.

**** sake, don't let her control your pain religion will be fine and just as crazy if you have less pain. nothing good in pain

Comments

Speak to your doctor about prescription pain killers - although your mother doesn't have the right to stop you getting birth control, there are other painkillers which work pretty great - I used mefenamic acid in my teens when my period pain was bad. Alternatively, bear in mind that an ****** is the best pain killer ever - let's hope she doesn't have anything against masturbation :-D

Hey guys, OP here! I have no idea how this login system works so I think I ended up creating a new profile. Anyway, for now I'm better, thank you so much for your support! As for a more permanent solution, fortunately I'm moving out next year to go to college, and so I'll be able to sort myself out with medication then. I'm honestly super surprised that my FML ended up published - thanks again for your sympathies!

PhantomCrevan 8

I am glad that you don't have much longer to live with her and will be able to get things taken care of. If you haven't seen one, you should really find a GYN and have a full workup to rule out more severe problems. I hope you don't have any, but better safe than sorry.

You can contact social services and explain your situation your parents cant force their beliefs on you no matter your age and if they are denying you medical care it can be considered neglect. you may not have to that far but it might be enough to make your parents back off. its your body and your choice not theirs. your parents are supposed to take care of you not let you suffer in pain because of some pretend magic man in the sky might smite them.

I hope you can get BC once you're away at college.

Glad you’re moving out soon and can take control of your health and wellbeing! But in the meantime do try to see if she will agree that you both see a medical professional and he or she can explain the benefits of the pill for your period pains. Maybe that will talk some sense into her instead of that mumbo jumbo about it turning you into some sex maniac! Your health should be her concern. Dysmenorrhea is hindering and seeing a professional to rule out underling causes is crucial. I hope you find a solution fast.

I didn't know you needed consent from a parent to take birth control pills?

PhantomCrevan 8

For under age 18 you do, for over age 18, you may not need permission but it'd be pretty ******* difficult to build up a therapeutic level of hormones with one's parents throwing them away.

Depends where you live. I'm in Australia and after 14 you can see a doctor for free and get your own birth control without your parents even knowing.

ex: In SC, your parent has to legally know if you're put on birth control, but in NC you can get it without their knowledge.

TeachAllTheMath 19

Time to take care of yourself and get yourself the medical care you need.

Probably also thinks the Urffffff is flat....

As someone who used to have cramps so awful on the first day I threw up, all I can recommend is going to see a doctor to make sure that there's nothing more sinister causing them. It might just be a case of bad cramps, but it doesn't hurt to get checked. Also if you can make an appointment to go to the doctor without her, do it, especially if you're legally an adult. The only other things are the usual cramp remedies; heat packs, tummy rubs, stretches etc. However I will add that mine have got better, but I don't know if that's due to age, swapping tampons for moon cup or having been on the pill for a number of years, or being fitter than I was, or a combination, so there is always hope that it can get better. I would suggest telling your mother that pregnancy can help cramps and it's either that or the pill, but she might just lock you in your room.

AtomicLondon 8

I am so sorry, OP! I have literally passed out from cramping pain before. A good heating pad, and lots of ibuprofen has gotten me through it. If I can, I usually try to take a nap after taking some ibuprofen, with the heating pad on (it's on a timer). Most of the time when I awake I am pain-free. Truly though, I hope you can eventually convince your mother to allow you to get bc. Best of luck to you.

jarrod speaight 2

are their natural methods one can use to ease the pain? It be great if you could get your hands on birth control but for now you could look into plants that have some pain killing ability.

ohsnapword 21

The power of christ compels you.

Check out prjk ruby. You can pay $20 a month for birth control.