By 1942Ford - 07/05/2016 14:08 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I'm getting a medical scan, so I had to drink a barium shake for breakfast. It was so disgusting that I puked it back up. Now I have to drink another one. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 275
You deserved it 1 289

1942Ford tells us more.

OP here - can't believe this got published! I kept the second nasty shake down and survived the scan, only to have cramps and diarrhea the whole rest of the day. I really know how to party on a Saturday, don't I? They did the scan because I've been having abdominal pain. Should have the results next week, hope it turns out to be nothing!

Top comments

Sir_Cow 17

Might be rust considering you're a car from 1942.

Those are god awful, hopefully everything was good in the scan!

Comments

Oh my god I hate those. I've had to do it 4 times in the past, I feel your pain.

young_cat_lady 17

What is it and what is it for?

OP here - can't believe this got published! I kept the second nasty shake down and survived the scan, only to have cramps and diarrhea the whole rest of the day. I really know how to party on a Saturday, don't I? They did the scan because I've been having abdominal pain. Should have the results next week, hope it turns out to be nothing!

Sir_Cow 17

Might be rust considering you're a car from 1942.

Next time you have to drink something nasty, inhale, hold your breath, drink as quickly as possible, put a breath mint in your mouth immediately and swallow the first minty saliva before breathing again. If it is too much to drink without breathing in between, only breath through your mouth while keeping your nose pinched. I hope your test comes back OK and you don't have to take another one anytime soon.

I figured out your abdomen pain - it's all those barium shakes you keep drinking! They'll give you cramps and diarrhea!

the thing with that test though, is that you're not allowed to have any other thing than the barium, not even mints or water. good idea though.

When I had to get a barium x-ray, I had to drink half of it slowly while the scan was going on so quickly chugging wouldn't work.

Superbaker123 14

Yep, those are awful. Sucks, OP.

Try drinking it through a straw, it made it slightly easier for me. Hope everything goes well!

Everyone says that the prep for a colonoscopy is bad, but I found the barium drink much worse.

ambitiousnerd 16

Is that the same thing as contrast because I got mine through an IV? Hopefully you don't need another scan anytime soon, but if you do maybe ask about that.

They did the IV contrast, too - had to have both. Glad it's over!

ambitiousnerd 16

Sorry to hear that. Hope everything comes back ok.

When I was much younger I had to take one of those, and the same thing happened to me. They tried to make it taste like strawberry milkshake- which since then I have lost my enthusiasm for. Hope all is well with you anyway, OP! :)

foxtrousers 14

Went to the hospital for tests. In the room with me was a lady who had cancer and had to drink four barium shakes in a row. I had the misfortune of drinking two of those. Only managed to stomach one (thank god) but I felt terrible for her

FellFrmSky 8

Sorry OP, those things are foul! Hopefully these will be the last you will ever have to take. Good luck!