By mdimanzy - 06/06/2016 20:20 - United States - Tucson

Today, I'm filling in as a secretary. My only job is to answer the phone. So far the phone has rung three times: when I was in the bathroom, when I went to get the mail and when I was shredding papers where there is no phone. Everyone here thinks I am slacking off. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 501
You deserved it 1 509

mdimanzy tells us more.

Hi guys I am the original poster but I don't know how to get back into my other account. Anway, this has fulfilled my middle school dream of being published on FML! FYI I am 19 years old and home for the summer from college. I fill in as a secretary as at accounting office because it is usually dead in the summer. They basically pay me to sit up front and answer the phone but I do have to do other things like get the mail, shred paper, file a few things, etc. It is a pretty laid back place and the owners are family friends. It just happened to be on that day I missed the few phone calls that came in. But someone else in the office happened to catch the phone before me. Really not a big deal just thought it was kind of funny! And a sidenote, it was correct for me to use 'where' because the shredder is in a conference room and no phone is in that room. But thank you guys!! I have an abnormal amount of happiness that this got posted.

Top comments

flyingflies 36

If your only job is to answer the phone, why where you getting the mail and shredding papers?

Mathalamus 24

maybe you should stick to your one job. your only job is using the phone, right?

Comments

it's probably your coworkers pulling pranks on you by calling the office themselves

DeadxManxWalking 27

and a 4th time while I was on fml

if your "only" job is to answer calls, why were you doing all that other stuff?

If your only job is to answer the phone then why are you getting mail or shredding papers? For some employers, doing things other than the job you were hired to do IS slacking off. If answering the phone is what's important to the boss then let someone else get the mail and shred the papers.

This reminds me of Brick's girlfriend in Anchorman 2.

Bulbasaur816 4

For people asking about the other two maybe a superior told them to do so it may of not been their job but they can't just be like "that's not my job"