By Imdeadlmaokillme - 22/03/2016 20:47 - United Kingdom - Twickenham

Today, I learned the meaning behind the phrase, "Love you long time". It's from the movie Full Metal Jacket, when a hooker comes in and says, "Me so horny, me love you long time." I've been saying this to my parents and people at school, having no idea what it really means for over 2 weeks. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 769
You deserved it 22 685

Same thing different taste

Top comments

All that matters is that you love them long time.

Bonngoo 34

"If you believe in yourself you can achieve anything" - Johnny Karate

Comments

YDI for using a phrase without knowing the origin

So you know the origin of every phrase you use? Wow, that's impressive.

Ones that are awkwardly worded and obviously a reference to something, yes.

From now on, you're private Snowball! Do you like that name?

My Asian friend says that to me but she knows the source and we know it's a joke lol. Sorry about your luck.

Why would you reference ANYTHING that you didn't know the origin of. YDI!!!

Don't worry, you didn't say the phrase "me love you long time" from the movie. You said "love you long time", that is a song by the Black Eye Peas. You're okay.

Don't feel bad. A lot of people say it, even if they don't know where it's from.

At least you aren't going around saying "Born to Kill."

BeccaSedai 7

Besides having sexual connotations, that quote is also a racist caricature of Vietnamese women. So just FYI, it's not actually appropriate to say in any context. Everyone makes mistakes, but maybe next time you hear something that sounds like broken or pidgin English you should check its origins before you repeat it.

Or you could stop being such a douche and understand the comedy behind it,

Let's play spot the social justice warrior.

Why are people ragging on this comment? It's good advice- just like if a quote is in obvious ebonics or any distinct linguistic style, and is heard from someone who doesn't normally speak like that, that's a clue it's a quote and you should know what you're quoting before running around saying it.

Because the SJW needs to grow up and get a clue as to how to read period pieces and humor. That's why it was voted down. Intolerant, hypocritical bullspit.

BeccaSedai 7

How is this hypocritical on my part? I don't like racism, so I pointed out that the quote is kinda racist.

Racism is never funny. That would be like drawing someone with yellow skin, buck teeth, a long black braid, long fingernails, and squinty eyes and saying that they're not offensive to the Chinese because it's meant to be a joke. It's not okay.

That almost sounds like the arguments the terrorists used to attack Charlie Hebdo. Just for drawing a caricature of Muhamed. I.e. Stop being offended by every little thing. In the end, it is about a movie, not real life and it doesn't (I hope) represent what people actually think. Not for me it doesn't.

snarkytruth 37

#23 is right it isn't funny. It's horribly racist! It didn't originate from that movie. It was very racist back then when other races said it because they were using it to stereotype Asian women in a hateful way. ( Korean War Vietnam war). Thanks to the military I lived in Asia and have Asians in my family. If you understood anything about that movie it's very serious and a lot of the "humor" isn't meant to be funny I should make you sick or uneasy. It's actually to point out the horrible reality of the times and the controversy and ignorance of people and the whole damn situation. I don't find women being forced into prostitution to survive funny or their lack of English. Nor the rapes from guys that didn't want to pay and viewed them all as sub human. SJW ? What an idiot comment. No just a grown ass adult that actually has a brain cell and has seen more of the world and has family that survived those wars. Kudos to those few who really know and spoke up. There used to be buck toothed slant eyed pictures at that time that got passed around saying similar stuff w broken English. Disgusting and it's way different than Hebdo. "Charlie" wasn't killing innocents over free speech. What the hell are they teaching in schools these days.